Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

isn’t that strange? My son got flat out rejected from CP Pomona close to a month ago, which we regarded as a safety, as did his college counselor. We know if that happened then SLO is beyond reach but he just wants to see it in writing.

I thought I heard something new where schools can poach students now where they didn’t use to be able to, which is why the WL are stretching. Once they get all the May 1 commits, then they can figure out if they have any holes. Since there are other top schools who also take students off of their WL, it creates a bunch of shifting after commit day through summer.

2 Likes

I believe the waitlist movement in MAY is going to be NUTSO. On reddit, I’m seeing a kids either getting lots of waitlisted vs kids who already have quite a few admittances. Granted the ones racking up lots of admittances have the correct mystery formula to make it past the first wave, but it also tells me that there should be significant wait list movement this year since those accepted kids can only go to one school. Anyway, if you are waitlisted - be ready & be nimble. They won’t give you much time to think about it.

4 Likes

Same exact situation her. Daughter waitlisted at SLO along with all of her other high stat friends from a top public California school. Families and counselors are bewildered. its so unsettling.

1 Like

Yes, this was predicted.

1 Like

Is Cal Poly SLO still sending out decisions? or its pretty much we can consider the current decision pending will be rejected.

1 Like

That is how I feel about it

It looks like SLO has four types of admission decisions. Accepted, Waitlisted, On Hold, and then weeks later, after UC decisions are out, Denied.

It’s as if several applicants are placed On Hold instead of outright denied just in case there’s a major shift in Accepted/Waitlisted list. They can potentially pull from the On Holds to fill holes.

That’s at least my theory. Doesn’t make sense otherwise.

My DD is “On Hold” :pensive:

1 Like

It is so frustrating. I would prefer knowing if it’s a rejection. This place of limbo is never fun, especially coming at the end of this very stressful year!

6 Likes

So students are basically on a waitlist to get on the waitlist??? That is so confusing and frustrating! I am so sorry!

1 Like

I’ve never heard about On Hold before. @Gumbymom is that new? @jazzyginny228 Right! Waitlist to get on the waitlist. Ugh.

The FB parent group is: Cal Poly SLO Mustang Parents
You have to answer 3 questions and you can be admitted to the group based on your student applying to SLO.

The “On Hold” is purely my theory going off of what it feels like just sitting here waiting for an answer :thinking:

1 Like

Did you confirm this with Admissions? “On Hold” could mean waiting for a decision (acceptance or denial) as I don’t think all majors have sent out all acceptances. That’s what I’ve read on these posts from people calling the admissions office.

Do you think On-Hold is closer to acceptance than waitlist? Otherwise why wouldn’t they not put them waitlisted? It doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Never saw an application status on Hold unless they are waiting for specific documents that have been requested such as transcripts. I would contact admissions to clarify the “On Hold” status.

The “On Hold” is purely my theory going off of what it feels like just sitting here waiting for an answer :thinking:

1 Like

Interesting theory. I like it, because my son too hasn’t heard anything. But isn’t that what the waitlist is for, to “fill holes”?

1 Like

Sorry, I misread that. Thought your daughter’s portal said “on hold”. Good luck to her. My DD was waitlisted so we are on pins and needles right now as it’s her top choice school.

1 Like

I agree with both you and PurpleFaithful. That IS what the waitlist is for, but why make certain applicants wait so long! Perhaps I’m overthinking it. That’s usually what happens when you’re left in limbo :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I got it the first time. :grinning::+1:

2 Likes