Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

I toured Cal Poly last weekend, and an admission decision counselor told me acceptances wouldn’t come out for a few more weeks. Not sure if that’s helpful, but he looked stressed.

4 Likes

“…he looked stressed.” He should see what our kids look like! :rofl:

12 Likes

I honestly wonder why the AO looked stressed and why the delay — there are no essays to read, so how can the process be so complicated?

I really would love to hear an explanation from someone involved in the process so I could understand better.

12 Likes

@Napafolie My D22 was admitted to Cal Poly Pomona two weeks ago, so they have definitely started sending out decisions.

1 Like

@CMA22 - I am with you! There has to be more to it than we understand, but even allowing for the need to process applications by major, the CalPloy systems seems uniquely well suited to speedy turnaround times given the lack of subjective factors involved. I really wish we had some insight into what complicates this process from their side.

7 Likes

Yeah, it is tough to know what’s going on with admissions, but at least we can expect to hear from them soon!

3 Likes

What I was told is that it’s a big process running the program that takes many days. It’s much bigger and complicated than all the other CSU’s because of the complicated Multiple Criteria they use. They run the program during working hours and stop and start it and check it often. Sounded like tens of people are running the program.

2 Likes

And then there’s the pressure of over-enrolling and the problem that schools like Purdue and UCSB had recently, with where to put their additional freshman, as just two examples.

Also, there are six (6) colleges at SLO: CENG, CAFES, CLA, CAED, COB and CSM. I’m sure they have to coordinate with each other.

5 Likes

Thanks for noting this… their discussion board is so calm and nobody’s mentioned anything. Congratulations to her!:relaxed:

1 Like

I also think application numbers will be higher than last year.

4 Likes

I can’t wait to see the numbers. Last year was a record of almost 55,000 FTF apps. The UC’s saw an increase in apps, so yes, we should expect an increase to SLO’s # of apps too.

2 Likes

Yes, SLO has been a wild card so far, as every other school has been vocal about their numbers I have yet to see anything from them.

1 Like

I think the higher #s are a given. For a school like SLO where its mainly a numbers game, it should be a relatively easy lift to accommodate higher app volume. However, yield prediction is going to be much harder and that’s probably what’s slowing the progress.

2 Likes

I did notice my Bay Area school who sends lots of students to poly their applications were down about 20%. UC’s we’re up 20%. Obviously one data point of one high school but prior to this year the #'s were extremely consistent.

1 Like

Where did you see that data?

1 Like

My son (in state, non-transfer) received a decision from CPP Feb 15th in Computer Engineering.

6 Likes

I was told 60,000 I believe for total? a bit higher than last year anyway. People throw out all kinds of numbers, Freshman, transfers, and total.

Naviance has how many people from your school applied over the last 5 years by year. It’s accurate at least for # of apps bc u have to put it in to have transcripts and Letters of Rec sent.

4 Likes

Back in the day, when admissions were more “normal” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , SLO over-enrolled by around 850 students, but there was a change to their admissions policy that year. One factor in the additional enrollment issue was that SLO eliminated its early decisison policy.

2017 freshman class has more students than expected - Mustang News.

That’s why I specifically stated “FTF” when I quoted the 55,000 apps last year. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I wish I can see this data for my son’s school. All I see the scatter plot of 2021 applicants. There doesn’t seem to be a way to quantity app volume and compare against prior years. Perhaps, each school district limits what’s available to students,