Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

Communications
International Business
A few various Engineering
Computer science
Political Science

1 Like

Thank you!

Does anyone know what dates SLO previously released their admission decisions? Iā€™m hoping its earlier than April 1st. :slight_smile:

Could it be recruited athletes that were admitted?

It depends on the school. Some donā€™t even open the housing portal until April, but some are open early and are first-come-first served. If your seniorā€™s current first choice is one that doesnā€™t guarantee housing and has already opened housing applications you may want to secure their place in line. Sometimes the deposit is refundable but with most you would lose it. Worth looking in to!

@dh2 they donā€™t appear to be athletes

I think I posted this around post #313 10 days agoā€¦

1 Like

@sboodman

Check out around post #313 from 10 days agoā€¦

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Interesting, how large is the deposit?

Cal Poly does not require an ā€œadmission depositā€. Incoming first year students are guaranteed to have on-campus housing (and required to live on campus unless they have an exemption). Cal Poly requires you pay a $500 housing deposit and a $1000 dining deposit when you fill out your housing application. This is the first required payment you will make to Cal Poly. Housing applications for fall 2022 open April 6th this year. 100% of this deposit credits towards your housing and dining fees for the year.

7 Likes

Hi, we are local here too. Do you know how much that is a factor in decision making? It seems like California residents wait a little longer. I wonder about local residents? My daughter is hoping for Animal Science/ Equine Studies. The pain of watching is real.

2 Likes

Iā€™m wondering why they are so far past the dates they have previously released decisions. We are already 12 days behind last year and probably looking at 14. The obvious answer would be the number of applications, but without essays to read it seems pretty much just like a numbers game :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I posted previously but my OOS (OR) daughter was accepted early March 2020. She applied for civil engineering. At that time they still accepted SAT/ACT and she had a fairly high #. I forget what it is called, I keep thinking MCLA. Anywayā€¦ā€¦ she did not ultimately accept because she fell absolutely in love with another school and heard from them in January 2020. For reference, she got into CU Boulder w scholarship, Oregon State w scholarship, UW Madison w scholarship. She did not get into U Washington. As stated above, the acceptance rate for OOS engineers is low and that particular year at least, they did not wait list. As I remember correctly, the CP decisions trickled out over 2 days with In-state first. Hope this helps everyone. My younger daughter has heard back from all of her schools and we expected this one to be last. I suspect decisions will come out this week. There is always an early batch. Try not to over-analyze. They may be a group of special scholarship students.

2 Likes

If you mean local as within the local service area of SLO, then on the old MCA point calculation information, 500 extra points were given to local applicants. The CSUā€™s do prioritize local applicants for admissions.

From the SLO website:

Cal Poly gives preference in the competitive admission process to local applicants. You are considered local if you graduate(d) from a high school in San Luis Obispo County, northern Santa Barbara County and southern Monterey County.

1 Like

It could be that they were waiting to see if UCB would have to reduce the number of Applicants with the Save Berkeley Neighborhoods lawsuit, and if that would effect the number of applicants that would accept admissions. For example, if you want to be an architect CP and UCB could be your top choices. So if UCB accepts less future architects, more may enroll at CP

Looks like they are going to start jamming these out soon if they are going to let everyone know of their status by Apr 1

My in-state student was accepted on March 3 in 2020. In 2019, in-state acceptances started on March 1 (OOS on 2/28).

Last year was likely the anomaly with decisions being sent a week earlier.

Thank so much for sharing this information. We moved to Northern SLO County Summer 2021 and enrolled my daughter into Templeton Independent Study High School, so I assume that means we are ā€œlocalā€. Do you know what 500 extra points really means? I wonder how many total points there are in the application process. Thanks for sharing this information.

@slbassi - With the very important disclaimer that the MCA information in the thread pasted below is absolutely out-of-date (pre-test-blind admissions, and possibly other changes since 2013 to which we are not privvy), the first post in this thread gives details of how the MCA used to be structured. It wonā€™t be perfect for answering your question, but will give you some context for how your studentā€™s local status might help with the admissions calculations. Wishing you the best of luck! Understanding the MCA plus Calculator

2 Likes