Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

An admissions counselor started the tour at cal poly, and he told me the same thing.

1 Like

And that was just 3 days ago? So we should all stop watching the kettle to see if it boils for next few days then?

1 Like

More increased fees… gotta love how everything goes up

Probably supply chain issues :joy::thinking::smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

I went to Davis myself and yes to “campus too big” for lower division classes, they are more spread out (physics, math, GE and Eng all in different parts of the campus), and it could be exhausting running between classes. But the situation get better in the upper division as all the Eng major classes are in just a few buildings close to each others. I personally prefer SLO over UCs because of its relatively smaller class size.

3 Likes

Your username is so misleading.

1 Like
1 Like

The name was picked when my older son was applied for college 3 years ago. Things change. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Most definitely. In the letter, the President states, " I have decided to approve the proposal to increase the College Based Fee (CBF) for future students starting in Fall 2022. Deciding on the proposal at this time allows us to inform accepted students about their increase in the CBF and total financial aid offer before they have to commit to a school for the fall. "

The full letter can be read here. Details and FAQ are on the SLO website

4 Likes

Fees go up ever year, even before pandemic. At the end of the day, students/parents are still going to pay the extra cost.

1 Like

Phew. Not for current students. :slight_smile:

If I’m reading it correctly, they’re trying to make SLO more competitive to the UC’s by increasing financial aid opportunities. It’s definitely a wonderful deal now for full pays.

1 Like

These are pretty significant fee increases. They will rise $700 to $850 dollars a year for each incoming Freshman class. By the time the Fall 2026 kids enroll, the fees will have increased by over $3500 in most of the six colleges. Added to the current fees and tuition, it will reflect a roughly 33% increase. Combining that with the cost of on-campus housing, Cal Poly will effectively be the same price as the UC’s.

Yes, people will still pay it, but people will no longer be able to say “It’s a UC education at a CSU price.”

5 Likes

FYI: CSU and UC admissions countdown clocks by CC and links to message boards :slight_smile: (ETA: although not super-helpful since most CA schools don’t have solid dates :confused: )

1 Like

april 1st??? such a long time

1 Like

Algorithm is cooking and results will come out any moment between now and April 1st. That’s what my sources say. I believe the results will come out closer to any moment than April 1st myself!!!

IDK about comparing it to a UC - Cal Poly is pretty proud of its hands on learning emphasis - but I like to say Cal Poly is the private school experience at a public school price. My son’s physics II class was 47 students. My husband and I both went to private college and our first physics classes were at least a couple hundred kids, with labs taught by TAs. We didn’t get to smaller classes until junior year. Except for a couple of gen eds, my son’s classes were always under 50. His largest class was 120 students. At Cal Poly you have profs teaching the class and the labs are led by current/former industry professionals, if not the prof. One of my old bosses from Boeing (a Cal Poly alum) started teaching an EE lab when my older son was there. One of his other lab instructors helped him get an interview with the company he worked for.

4 Likes

Don’t think they would wait til April 1. Admitted students day is the 8th, so seems like that’s such short notice.

Blockquote “That’s what my sources say.”

Are your sources within the Admissions office?

2 Likes

Yes, was wondering the same!

1 Like

I’m trying to understand the fee increase. So if fees go up for our 2022 freshman does it increase for us every year or stay what it was the first year?

1 Like