Cal Poly SLO Fall 2023 Admissions - Class of 2027

It’s not quite the same. There are lots of Cali kids with the exact same stats as the OOS kids who were accepted. Also, state taxes in Cali are some of the nations highest.

And for the record, my kid got in :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, I went and looked at the exact courses my S23 put on his Cal State application. Now I have a question. He listed an Honors 4th year language course on his application… but then when he got his mid year transcript from the HS in January, he found out that they coded it as the AP 4th year language course (taught in the same period by the same teacher, but I guess they have both Honors and AP versions in the course catalog).

Should he contact Cal Poly to find out if this counts as a course change? And I guess the general question (that would be more relevant for other folks on the thread) would be, what counts as a course change? :slight_smile:

One part I think you’re leaving out is the cost issue, which makes it even worse. I personally have no problem going out of state to another Uni and would prefer it so I can get a new experience, but financially UCs and CSUs are my only option without straining my family permanently. UCs have become a non-option for CS majors like me especially but even for other majors are just impossibly hard to get into, as are the high level CSUs like CP Slo and CPP. The OOS admits at this point aren’t even just taking a spot, they’re financially screwing others who can’t afford to go out of state but get forced to due to the in state rejections (obv CSUs are still an option in this scenario but the opportunities they offer and unis themselves aren’t on the level of UCs/Cal Polys, making it incomparable)

Cali overall needs to get their act together in prioritizing in state enrollment, especially since we’ve effectively put a down payment on our education since the day we were born.

Being that he didn’t completely change the course from language to TA or forensic science but from Honors to a higher evaluation (AP), I would think he is fine.

But just call admissions and tell them it was labeled differently and in fact it is a higher level course.

This type of change is a good change in my opinion.

2 Likes

It’s more a national issue than a cali issue, overall too many public Unis overadmit out of state which screws everyone over in the end, as everyone is paying out of state tuition and very few can actually get admitted in state.

3 Likes

I am also confused by the term “College Prep Coursework.” What courses does that include - math, English, science only?

I am guessing that it would refer to all a-g coursework.

So it wouldn’t apply to PE or drivers ed (for example), but would apply to core courses, arts courses (music, fine arts, theater, film etc), and most other electives.

3 Likes

Just my opinion here…

OOS and International students represent about 16% of the 22,000 +/- student population at Cal Poly and offer some diversity to the university. So, there are roughly 3,500 OOS and International students at Cal Poly.

Also, OOS freshman at Cal Poly pay an extra $20,000 +/- (non-resident tuition + opportunity fee) per year in tuition. My math ain’t great, but $20,000 extra tuition for 3,500 OOS & International students is about an extra $70 Million in revenue for Cal Poly SLO. That funds a lot of projects and services for the rest of the student population.

At the other end of the spectrum, OOS and International students represent about 48% of the student population at Michigan. My D18 attended Michigan. D21 attends SLO.

11 Likes

Did you ever get email?

1 Like

You can get a B or two even if you are pretty much a straight-A student. :grinning: It’s more or less a “don’t slack off second semester senior year” message. Which is good because my D23 is very likely to get a B vs an A in science because her teacher is not at all teaching the content well and keeps giving tests that seem unrelated to the material being reviewed! :frowning:

Son accepted for Mechanical Engineering yesterday. I posted pretty early based on results on portal. He received an email with the same result at 7:20pm. We are in-state (San Francisco). He did well with the CSU’s 6 for 6. Won’t be the same with UC’s, waitlisted at UCD.

1 Like

As a WA resident I feel same way about OOS admits at UW.

2 Likes

How do you figure extra $20k? I thought OOS tuition is about $10k more than in-state.

1 Like

Seems a number of psych majors are still waiting. I’ve only seen one acceptance from OOS. Can anyone confirm an in-state acceptance for psych major?

1 Like

Agree with all you said. Also, there are many CSUs that have plenty of room. People have to remember that there are so many high achieving California students, and they physically cannot all fit at the “top” schools. A great education can be gotten at any of the CSU or UC schools. As much as my daughter would love to be at the higher-ranking ones, we have prepared her from the beginning of app season that competition is fierce, and she can get where she’s going in life from any of our CA public universities. She’s happy with her acceptances so far and she’s been lucky, but she would have been fine at her safety CSU as well.

7 Likes

No it’s mainly a Cali problem and perhaps a few other states definitely not a national problem. Arizona actually pays California students to go to their local universities but getting very generous Merit Scholarships. These are the same kids who can’t even get into UCS

1 Like

Yep Washington is another state that is not too kind to it’s residents. I don’t understand why they do it. It’s not as though there are excellent California and Washington kids that can not fill up the local state schools

1 Like

The challenges is that you want to go to school with your stat wise right in the middle. That way you’ll be challenged but not overcome.

1 Like

Exactly, you’re essentially screwing over your locals to make a quick buck on out-of-state students.

1 Like

This is the same everywhere unfortunately except Texas they do it correct with accepting the majority from Texas . We are from Seattle and UW is almost impossible to get in especially for stem they take mostly international and out of state . Sucks for all instate peeps except Texans lol

2 Likes