Cal Poly SLO Fall 2023 Admissions - Class of 2027

The post PT was replying to cited the yield rates (30% CA, 27% OOS), so not much difference.

1 Like

Ah, thanks. I know the yield rate for UC Davis is much lower for OOS students–I assumed it would be the same for Cal Poly SLO as to me those two universities are very similar (ag focus, great college towns, selective). I guess the OOS students prefer the allure of the beach 10 miles away from SLO :grinning:

3 Likes

I agree with you DubCADad, especially since we moved to a state with a flagship U that kids all over the country are fighting to attend and can’t be considered a “target” for any of my high-stats kids. I was just meaning to respond to the comment that CA (and only CA) is making a quick buck on OOS students. I just think it’s more complicated than that. Talk to a high stats CS applicant from Illinois that’s trying to get into UIUC, and ask them what they think of all the California CS applicants. (Insert joke here about how nice midwesterners are so my point would be lost among all of the welcoming comments. He he he :blush:)

4 Likes

SLO has a college of business unlike uc davis which does not offer an undergraduate business degree. managerial economics is the closest major to traditional business school majors.

Same for UMD for CS. There are tons of highly qualified in state students not getting a spot at UMD.

1 Like

Daughter admitted Agribusiness. OOS. 3.95 UW, 4.4 W. All AP, Honors. No DEs. Spanish immersion education. Strong ECs.

3 Likes

Not sure how much it factors in.

SLO
OOS tuition and fees are in the $32K range.
OOS total estimated cost of attendance is $53K.

UC Davis
OOS tuition and fees are $46K
OOS total estimated cost of attendance is $70K

2 Likes

I feel ya. No admit here (no update) w/ 3.97UW, 4.5W, most rigorous curriculum offered, 11 APs, NMF… I’m not sure what went wrong but it would be folly to speculate. But if I had to guess, perhaps b/c proposed major was CS and that’s highly impacted. Maybe b/c there wasn’t room to show how all ECs were related to major. Maybe hours in ECs were underestimated, idk. I’d almost think we made a mistake in Cal State App, but got in early to SDSU. Accepted to Cal (early), UCSC (early), and Davis though so can’t complain, just shows it’s a bit of a crapshoot and weird to guess. CA resident.

9 Likes

Most certainly a crap shoot then.

1 Like

Helpful admissions stats here: How to Get Into Cal Poly – San Luis Obispo: Admissions Data and Strategies - College Transitions

Cal Poly SLO releases decisions in batches especially for Computer Science (or College of Engineering in general). It should keep coming till the end of March. This is based on experience as my son got his acceptance somewhere in mid of March last year.

7 Likes

Similar situation here. We’re bleeding Californians here and resident but because we’ve been living overseas, my D23 had to apply as OOS because she didn’t attend a CA HS.

If you’re referring to WUE, the only university in Arizona that offers it for all of their programs is Northern Arizona (my D19 just graduated from there). U of A and ASU only offer it for a very limited number of their programs. My S22 was accepted at Arizona but they didn’t give her much of anything in terms of scholarships or grants.

Utah is now where many kids in SoCal are turning to - WUE, PAC 12 sports and a safe environment/area and they are pretty generous in scholarships.

(Also, please don’t call California, “Cali” that makes my native ears bleed. :joy:)

3 Likes

My daughter is a recruited athlete and was accepted yesterday for Business Administration. When you went for your visit did your student athlete meet with academic advisor? My daughter did and they went over her transcripts and got a pre-read for admissions.

My DD got in for Aerospace Engineering on Friday, we are in-state.

1 Like

That’s crazy and really unfair.

Plus UCD along with all the UC’s are around $15K/year more expensive as an OOS student than SLO. Sorry, already noted by @lkg4answers. Late to respond.

@socalmom007 Waitlisted at UC Santa Cruz? I thought that UCSC has only accepted a few high stats students? Monday, March 20th is the day they will release the remainder. Your daughter was already waitlisted at UCSC?

1 Like

She was referring to her older child’s experience.

3 Likes

Congrats! No acceptance yet for my athlete! We met as a group with an academic advisor and briefly with the biochemistry department but not to that detail where they looked at her transcripts, etc.