Cal Poly SLO Fall 2023 Admissions - Class of 2027

I wonder with that big increase if it makes it harder to be admitted? I assume they increase their admissions numbers as well.

I’m not sure there were only 59,000 applications for 2022.

Cal poly reported the following in 2022:

“Admission to Cal Poly continues to be highly competitive. For Fall 2022, the university received over 68,000 undergraduate applications, a new record high and up 3.5% from 2021. Over 5,100 first-time first-year students joined Cal Poly in the fall — the second-largest incoming class of such students in campus history.”

Regardless of what the actual increase in applications was, there are just so many kids vying for a very small number of seats and I imagine it’s only going to get harder for kids. :broken_heart:

Undergraduate applications can include transfers.

1 Like

@CalDreamin congratulations to your son on his great acceptances! Isn’t it great that schools are looking at creating a class and not just taking the top kids at every school! If every school accepted the same top students, it would be a pretty boring place to go. The goal is to create a cohort. Every year people try to figure out the acceptance patterns, there are none. What I can say (since this is my third child going through this) is they all end up where they are supposed to be and it is not where you go, but what you do with it.

6 Likes

The 73,000 apps for 6,200 spots includes undergraduate transfers.

Typically, a freshman class is roughly 5,000. Eventually SLO will release just freshman-only info.

UCSB 1992 Art History was in Campbell Hall and overflow was in IV Theater at the time. Some other classes overflow were at The Grad when it was still there.

I went to UCSD and I don’t think I had a class with under 200 students either!

I looked at the common data for first time freshman… I assumed 73k was for that but I understand that 73 includes transfers

UCSB or UCSD? I’m not saying that classes weren’t large. Campbell Hall at UCSB holds 800+ students and Lotte Lehmann holds 450+. I didn’t know that Art History was so popular that they needed to use two buildings. I’m old and graduated before @Twins2023. I had a film class in IV Theater and the Graduate was an 18+ nightclub when I was there. But… back to SLO…

1 Like

Waitlisted for Ag Business. Bay Area 3.85 W GPA.

In general I totally agree, but since historically SLO has been formula based, with no real space to explain any extracurriculars, no place to expand on passions, experiences etc. - I really did think they were pretty numbers based. Add up the points from all the various categories, decide the cut off for each intended major. My guess is there’s something to how many hours get listed for various activities and how those are bucketed for points, and how many students in your major have extra points for Title 1, local schools, etc. This is also my third time going through and agree, it’s pretty crapshooty. It’s all good, I just thought historically it was mostly based on the MCA process.

Apologize for delay…only have access to phone now (traveling) and CC not quite the same. Anyway, my daughter applied Studio Arts! I don’t think Graphic Communications and SA are released at same time.

Just to clarify for other readers, Graphic Design is a concentration within the BFA, parallel to the Studio Art option.

Graphic Communication is a totally separate major.

1 Like

Must be interesting going through round 2. Did your son take a gap year and travel or work? I understand if you take classes then you might have to apply as sophomore? Always wondered how trying a year later worked. Did you have to get new teacher recommendations? New essays? How was it different this second round?

does no word from cal poly slo yet mean that I’m for sure rejected?

2 Likes

Congrats on all his other great acceptances!

Most likely yes :((

We are still waiting to hear from SLO
DS applied for Mechanical engineering. Are the chances getting lower if we have not heard?

I hate to say it, but you need to move on.

We are also waiting to hear from Mechanical Engineering. He is in to Boston College for engineering so it isn’t an issue but just curious that he never heard from our only state application.