Cal Poly SLO or Loyola Marymount LMU for Business

My S was accepted at both Cal Poly SLO and LMU (honors) for business.
Pros of CP: reputation for learn by doing structure, their grads are very strongly recruited.
Cons of CP: housing only guaranteed for one year, depressing campus (we noted its brutalism architectural style) larger classes, and seems to to offer a lot of advising Almost impossible to switch schools.

Pros of LMU: 15-30 class sizes (the honors ge courses are 12-18), beautiful campus, easy to get on campus housing, seems to offer a lot of resources for advising. As an honors presidential scholar he would be guaranteed housing in newest buildings & paid summer research grant and free housing for 5 weeks in summer if desired. Semester schedule less stressful than quarter schedule.
Cons: more part time/adjunct profs. (Not as experienced or vested in the school as CP) not as many study abroad or university exchange opportunities as CP. Campus seemed very quiet not a lot going on.

In our case the scholarship and honors perks offered at LMU takes care of the cost differential so it’s not a factor we are going to consider.

I would love to hear about the experience business majors have had at both Cal Poly and LMU quality of professors, connections to internships particularly how easy/difficult it was getting a job when done.

It’s a tough call so any input would be really helpful. Since CP &LMU are so different I would love to know from those with experience, what kind of kid would do well or conversely not do well at these two schools. Thanks!

CP is moving to semesters.

The culture is to move off campus anyway after 1st year. Almost no one lives on campus more than 2 years.

Our son was an engineering major, but his good friend was an IT major, seemed to love every minute of it and now has a great job.

It’s also in an idyllic spot.

For better and worse, LMU, much like USC is an enclave in a giant bustling city. The pros and cons of LA are very apparent, world class culture, food, entertainment, etc juxtaposed on world class traffic, homelessness and crime.

As I said, our son went to Cal Poly and then took his first job in LA. When he left LA, it was bittersweet because of all I mentioned above.

At the end of the day, your student will make their way based on their curiosity and drive. They should pick the one that they feel I’d the best fit.

Congrats on the impending launch!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.