Cal Poly SLO Transfer Thread for Fall 2022

They really cant make acceptance rate equal for every category aren’t they ? if for FT it is 30-35% why cant they make same percentage of acceptance for transfers ??? but no no it must be even worse 12-15%, They must really… mhh how to say, HATE us right ?

yah for pomona…i just saw cal poly and started freaking out💀

1 Like

My acceptance rate is 12.8% or something for engineering. I have a 3.5 GPA which is well in the average range, all the required courses and some of the recommended and have like 90 units as well as work and volunteer experience, and A’s in the four required GE classes. Also, they’re expanding their engineering program to more women this year because it’s male dominate by a lot currently. State schools in general are expanding their acceptance to everyone. So I am thinking I have a very good shot, as well as most of you!

2 Likes

I personally won’t feel reassured if my GPA is in the average range lol. High GPA is like the easiest thing to maximize your chances for admissions among other things in my opinion. Finding a valuable EC that is attractive to the admission officer is way harder.

1 Like

But yeah, your chance is decent I bet.

I think it depends a lot on your major. I know for engineering most people I see that get accepted have 3.3-3.7 and obviously there are those who have even higher GPAs that get admitted as well. I’ve heard that coursework for transfers especially at Cal Poly is probably just as close up there with GPA. They want to see you are capable of taking the courses and don’t want you there for a long time. Again, this is just what I’ve heard from engineering, I know GPA can be a heavier factor in other majors. Also the more courses you take the more likely your GPA is to fall into the average range. Obviously if you have a 4.0 and all the courses complete you’d be a super competitive applicant, but that is pretty uncommon for engineering.

and I’m hoping that those who do fall in the higher range would hopefully choose Berkeley or UCLA :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I think that is what Cal Poly admissions are mostly ‘afraid’ of , letting to many high stats (gpa based) applicants and then loosing most of them to UCLA or Berkley, Cal Tech or USC…

1 Like

That’s actually a very good point. I’ve seen so many people with 3.8+ GPAs in all majors get rejected but accepted to schools like Berkeley.

1 Like

Oh yeah, totally. Bet engineering students have physics and chemistry as their transfer requirement courses, which are hard.
By the way, how many hours total for your work and volunteer experiences on a week average?

Bet. I personally don’t like both UCLA and UCB. Didn’t even bother to apply to either of them.
But I did apply to UCSD and have a tag approved by UCD.

Exactly.

You can skim through the freshmen thread and many parents have stated that their child has gotten in, but will still go to another campus if they get accepted somewhere else such as Berkley or what not.

I don’t know about other students, but I will also consider the special benefits I may get at the schools accepted me.
If UCSD offers me the Regents Scholarship then… :rofl:

11-15 hours a week for work experience 25% or more related to my major.
6-10 hours of extra curricular activities and I held a leadership position.

I’m the same as you. Not a huge fan of Berkeley or UCLA. I would go to LA over Berkeley, but Cal Poly is my #1 choice by far. I love their hands on learning.

1 Like

Yeah, Cal Poly is really good for engineering since the related jobs require more hands-on learning anyways, except if you really want to take an uncommon engineering position as some academics.
As for Berkeley, the school and its students gave me a really bad vibe when I visited there before Covid. No offense but I couldn’t stand the atmosphere of that school in 1 day, let alone 2 years lol.

2 Likes

My best friend went to Berkeley right out of high school and it was really hard for her to adjust. Now she loves it and never comes home. I know it’s extremely competitive even after you’re accepted. Most clubs require you to “try out” and people are competitive in class as well. She tried out for the fashion club her freshman year (she has an entire brand where she creates sustainable clothes and sells them then donates a portion of the money to a Environmental protection organization) but she still got declined and didn’t get in till her sophomore year I couldn’t believe it :rofl:

Me too, I am not big fan of any UC and their research and theoretical approach to learning, but really crazy about both Cal Polys and their much much more concrete, straight to point , hands on learn by doing approach ! especially in STEM majors ! I too will never exchange this awesome ideology and implementation with any of big name UC’s ! I know that most who apply for UC’s don’t care much about this and totally fine with or even love their research base, but the issue when most of UC applicants apply to both Cal Poly’s as well, JUST IN CASE, so this is what overwhelms this schools during admission process, say if it is 60,000 applicants to Cal Poly, good half would choose UC’s if given admission…

1 Like

The “bad vibe” I’m talking about can be termed as “toxic academia” I guess.
And I don’t like how many people applying there only care for “prestige” and “reputation” and… “acceptance rates” but didn’t even bother to look at the curriculum, the school catalog, the career services and what they have to offer, and so on…
I’m not sure how many percent of this kind of people actually got into those “prestige” schools. Many of them (not all, please) either cares about superficial value or are crazily ambitious to the point of toxicity, so that’s probably the reason for the “bad vibe” I always got from visting those schools.

3 Likes

When I walked around the campuses of those schools and observed the students and how they interacted, the feelings of something was off was so obvious to the point of alarming :rofl: strange how the students didn’t really interact with me but still was able to give me a really terrible vibe.
But… I should probably stop here to avoid offending the “prestige” students lol.

4 Likes