Camp 1831 Registration Opened at 10am central

<p>I successfully registered S’13 for the first session, Aug 6-8. There is a second session Aug 12-14. The camp costs $140 that is non-refundable. The campers board buses at Ferguson that depart at noon on the first day. For those of you that aren’t familiar with Camp McDowell where this will be held, it is a beautiful camp. Students will sleep in twin beds in same sex cabins. My husband attended Episcopal Youth Camps there during his childhood. It is beautiful!</p>

<p>The registration mentioned that there would be an early move in (Aug 6 at 8am) for students participating. We are figuring this will work well with AA/OA and give son a chance to meet some people and get his bearings on campus before a majority of students arrive.</p>

<p>Registration numbers are limited, so act quickly. Go to First Year Experience at the ua site. You’ll find lots of details if you go to Outside the Classroom and Camp 1831.</p>

<p>Early move-in is an option but not mandatory. There is a different move-in date for the second session, August 9th. </p>

<p>Session 1 also will work well for people wanting to rushing.</p>

<p>When you say early move-in, do you mean these students can move into their DORM rooms as early as August 6th?! …or just move into the camp early? Because moving into the DORMS early would be a HUGE bonus. (I wonder what you do for the next week, tho, as not many people are around until AA/OA hits.) We enjoyed moving in early to the dorms last year due to AA session.</p>

<p>Yes Camp 1831 can move into the dorms Aug 6.</p>

<p>That is my understanding, early move in for the first session of Camp 1831 would be Aug 6 at 8am. You don’t have a lot of time, because the bus leaves for the camp from Ferguson at noon that day. Pretty much just have time to unload and put things in the room and lock it. </p>

<p>But the early move in for the later session of Camp 1831 is Aug 9, which I believe is the move in for OA and AA, which begin Aug 11.</p>

<p>For those planning on the early 1831, especially, keep in mind that there will be absolutely nothing for you to do that following week that AA/OA is going on, unless UA has some activities planned for these early move-in-ers. I can’t imagine how you would fill your 7 or 8 days after that camp, quite honestly. IMO. (Perfect for rushers, but what do the others do all week?)</p>

<p>I am guessing that the earlier session of camp 1831 will be filled with girls who want to rush, students who are going to do AA/OA and students whose homes are close by who can just head home until it is time for the main move in. I am really glad that they scheduled a session for students who want to rush because from the description of the program it sounds like the perfect opportunity to develop connections that will facilitate leadership opportunities on campus, learn about Alabama traditions and get excited for the adventure ahead. (For the Texans on our board, this sounds like it will be a much smaller scale version of A&M’s Fish Camp)</p>

<p>Yes, the early Camp 1831 is perfect for OA/AA and sorority rush participants, or those who can go to their home for a few days before returning for start of regular classes. The later Camp 1831 is perfect for those students who don’t want OA or AA or greek rush. Something for everyone!</p>