Campus bug

<p>I forget if NyQuil contains ephedrine, but it and Mucinex are both controlled in Alabama despite being sold OTC without needing to talk to a pharmacy technician. I haven’t tried to buy Sudafed in AL, but don’t see it displayed as visibly as in other states. All I know is that stores can’t sell the 500-pill bottles of Sudafed like they used to. According to Wikipedia, federal law limits purchases to 3.6 grams per person per day (roughly 48 2-pill dosages) and 9 grams per month.</p>

<p>My son and one of his friends also got sick their first two years on campus (a different times), and they had to have older friends purchase their medicines. Neither was 19. So M2CK is right. Send some items with your student so he or she does not have to hope he or she can find an older friend to help out.</p>

<p>I was happy my dear friend and neighbor with college child #4 knew the ropes and for my son’s graduation present she checked with me about his preferred OTC medications and included them in his “isn’t this stuff always just on a shelf somewhere” packages. (first aid, office stuff …) I’m now passing this present on, it wasn’t his most exciting gift but last year he loved it when he called one night with the start of cold and I reminded him about meds in his closet. </p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up, I’ll remind him to up his OJ (vitamin c).
Healthy wishes to all.</p>

<p>there is some good vit c chewing gum. It is the only way I can get my son to take the supplement sometimes.</p>

<p>Vitamin c supplements do seem to work, but staying hydrated is also very important.</p>

<p>I also think that a good air purifier for their dorm rooms is a great idea. There are many small size units that are a reasonable cost. Also have them throw out their toothbrush after they are finished being sick and buy a new one. Don’t forget a cover for the toothbrush if they store it in the sink area.</p>

<p>The Student Health Center does not participate with our health insurance, I think the cost of a visit was bout $35 and the RX was about $6 last year when my son went. These charges will be place on the student’s account.</p>

<p>Hope all your son/daughters feel better soon.</p>

<p>Threw some “vitamin C” h2o mixes in package I was sending today anyways. Funny how those small packages end up with so many “surprises”.</p>

<p>It’s amazing that they will allow a kid to dodge bullets in Afghanistan, but that same kid can’t buy cold medicine.</p>

<p>MABama - if CC had a “like” button, your wise comment would certainly get “liked” by me!</p>

<p>MABama, the same kid that can’t buy cold medicine could also face the death penatly as many of Alabama’s criminal laws consider anyone 18+ to be an adult.</p>

<p>The whole 19 cut off really messed me up several times the past two years. Freshman year I got both the regular flu and swine flu. Suffered through the regular, and during the swine flu I was saved at target by a wonderful friend who bought me some lovely medicine!</p>

<p>Is 19 only for cold meds, or is this an age limit for other things as well? Like signing at medical appointments, movies…</p>

<p>Movies are covered by industry regulations, so no changes there.</p>

<p>One has to be 19 to sign contracts and liability waivers, open a bank account, and buy tobacco products. While many of these things can be avoided by opening accounts online (where Federal law would apply) or in another state. It’s very annoying for some 18 year old OOS students that they are not able to enter bars to listen to live music and might possibly be stopped for curfew violations. UA students don’t have a curfew, but non-college student 18 year olds do.</p>

<p>Mesquite, I was thinking of your experiences when remembering the regulations for cold medicines.</p>

<p>if my son goes to the student health center, can they treat him if I give them a blanket auth, or will I need to auth each time he would show up there? </p>

<p>My son was irritated here because he could not open his bank account independently at 17. Wait till I tell him it would be 19 in Alabama, and we need to get him set up before he goes! </p>

<p>All good info to know. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>R rated movies are 19 & up as well. Don’t know if they card (they card under 18 at our theatre here in TN)</p>

<p>RobD…R rated movies are 19? D is going to be so upset…she just turned 17, she is the youngest senior in her HS…she and her GF, who turned 17 a week before celebrated by going to see a R horror movie. They were so excited to get carded. Poor kid won’t be 21 until she is a Senior…</p>

<p>I’ve gone to R-rated movies in Alabama without any problems when I was 18. The cinema’s website has the standard restrictions listed (17+ for R-rated without a parent/guardian present and 18+ for NC-17 rated films), so I’m not sure why your D was told she had to be 19.</p>

<p>OK, so the age of majority is 19 in Alabama. Basically, all the “state” level priveledges are at age 19, not 18. Sooo, how does UA manage the whole parent access to student records under FERPA related to that? Just curious more than anything. Not worried that my son will not provide me access to info, but have had the whole parent access to college records discussion with others.</p>

<p>FERPA is federal law which supercedes state law. At 18, you can’t view his/her student records without the written consent of student. Alabama falls in line with all states in this regard.</p>

<p>So did everyone get to feeling better? How did your kiddos handle their first time being sick away from home?</p>

<p>I’ve had this thing for five days, and I’m still not 100%. Granted, I’m not wishing I could curl up in a ball and sleep, so that’s an improvement over Tuesday. The bug is still running around. I know several people who have just now caught it. Also, the 19 year age of majority is definitely one of the worst things about the state of Alabama. Seriously messed a lot of things up fish and 1st semester of soph year.</p>