Can I call SUNY Geneseo a safety for me?

<p>kayf -- There are only about 80 out-of-state students at Geneseo. I don't think this is an issue.</p>

<p>wait, harder for OOS student to get in? really?</p>

<p>No, dbear. Kayf has indicated she believe that Binghamton -- and possibly other SUNYs -- make it easier for OOS students to get admitted. </p>

<p>BTW, can anyone confirm that Geneseo only accepted 2,000 applicants? The most recent authoritative information I can find is the Common Data Set for 2007-2008. Those figures indicate that Geneseo accepted approximately 3,700 applicants from a pool of 10,200 (36%).</p>

<p>Obviously this isn't official information, but the admissions counselor told a group during a fall information session that he expected somewhere in the ball park of 2,000 to be accepted this year due to their increasing yield and economy.</p>

<p>10,200 applicants for the 2007-2008 year? I'd expect that Geneseo has to accept fewer and expect a higher yield, but what shocks me is that from these posts there was only an (approximately)800 application increase. Was there really that small of an rise in geneseo's number of applications with the current economy?</p>

<p>I wonder if you look at the applicant pool like the surge at New Paltz or Binghamton are these applicants in the top tier of their classes? I know the accepted ones will be. I just know from colleagues of mine that many students they know didn't even apply to Geneseo because they assumed they would not get accepted. Students with a 1200 something SAT score and High 80 to low 90 GPA. I am not really sure. I would of thought Geneseo would have seen at least another 2,000 applications this year.</p>

<p>Okay... I'm now curious if I can call Geneseo a safety for me. My ACT score was a 34. Everything else is basically the same.</p>

<p>Match but not safety.</p>

<p>i got accepted at geneseo with an ACT of 34...SAT was 1970 (M:780, CR:570, W:620)
i also had a lot of extracurriculars that i spend a lot of time in, as well as leadership positions. i applied to geneseo, u. of rochester, u. at buffalo, syracuse, and binghamton, got into all 5, but geneseo was by far the one i was most worried about. my guidance counselor had told me that 9 times out of 10, i would get into geneseo....but they are getting very very competitive, and i don't think you should really have it as a safety school...i had buffalo and binghamton as safeties.</p>

<p>Bing is not much of a safety anymore either. 27000 apps for 2000 openings, getting much more competitive, just behind Geneseo</p>

<p>Yeah for sure, I got denied to Bingamton and guaranteed transfer to geneseo.</p>

<p>The salutatorian of my graduating class of about 350 got waitlisted at Geneseo! Her GPA is about a 99 and her SAT's in the 1300's, but a weak extracurricular. I got in ranked 22 with a 96 GPA and a 1390 (critical reading and math). As a matter of fact, I was the ONLY one to get accepted to Geneseo who applied in our top 25. They are all scratching their heads because they consider me the slacker of the group...</p>

<p>If I were the salutatorian, I would appeal that. There had to have been a mistake.</p>

<p>There were plenty of accepted students from my school with a GPA between 88 and 90, 1300 SATs (exactly 1300), and decent extra curricular activities.</p>

<p>Geneseo really only looks at SATs and GPA. So she fits the bill in my opinion.</p>

<p>I don't know...I got waitlisted at Providence College and my profile was above the middle 50% of accepted students this year. I atended an info session there last week and listened to them tell people what kind of student gets accepted there and I was easily above the standard...There really is no guarantee. No such thing as a sure thing!</p>

<p>Most of the top tier SUNYs now are so desireable since they are so affordable for in state students. It’s hard to call Geneseo a safety only because there are so many great students applying so I wouldn’t call it a safety for anyone really unless they have something that really sets them apart from everyone else.</p>