SUNY Geneseo RD Freshman Class of 2019 - Acceptances!

SUNY Geneseo decision letters are in the mail. Letters will likely arrive throughout the week, beginning in Western New York and NYC, then other parts of New York and surrounding states, then more distant states.

When you receive your letter, would you share the following?

Accepted for Fall 2019?
Guaranteed Admissions Program (Select waitlist; guaranteed January 2016 admission)?
Guaranteed Transfer Program (after completing at least 2 semesters of college work with a 3.0 GPA)?
Declined?

Hometown?

Admissions Factors (2014-15 Common Data Set)

Very important admissions factors:
Rigor of secondary school record?
Standardized test scores?

Important admissions factors:
Class rank?
Academic GPA?
Application Essay?
Recommendation(s)?
Extracurricular activities?
Talent/ability?
Racial/ethnic status?

Considered admissions factors:
Character/personal qualities?
First generation?
Alumni/ae relation?
State residency?
Volunteer work?
Work experience?
Level of applicant’s interest?

Good luck, everyone!

@sblig3, if past decision cycles are predictive, many applicants in Western New York and New York City should receive decision letters within the next day, with some already having received their letters.

jeez. can’t believe i’m the first to hear. what a deadbeat thread compared to prior years. i got in RD with less than stellar stats so i won’t post them and tick off the hard workers that don’t get in but it’s much easier for boys than girls. just goes to show that a good mix of partying, class clowning, occasional studying and no AP crap can pay off. they only say 900 slots out of 9000 apps this year. looks like fewer apps than prior years.

d was offered guaranteed admission for Spring or Fall, 2016. What are her chances for Fall, 2015 admission if she was placed on the select wait list?

Accepted.

GPA:95 UW/99W

SAT: 1300/1990

Will probably go to Binghamton.

@rany123, what are your daughter’s stats? According to SUNY Geneseo’s Common Data Set, there are 4 categories of admissions factors: very important, important, considered, and not considered. Listed below are the individual factors within each of these categories. To the extent your daughter’s strengths match the factors Geneseo considers most important, she is more likely to ultimately be accepted for Fall 2015. It is possible to give better advice if you share your D’s stats for the factors listed below.

Rigor of secondary school record?
Standardized test scores?

Class rank?
Academic GPA?
Application Essay?
Recommendation(s)?
Extracurricular activities?
Talent/ability?
Racial/ethnic status?

Character/personal qualities?
First generation?
Alumni/ae relation?
State residency?
Volunteer work?
Work experience?
Level of applicant’s interest?

Congratulations to your daughter on being accepted to Geneseo. If Fall 2015 is what she wants, I hope that she is advised to that effect.

Congrats, dcalb1, on the acceptance to Geneseo. Good luck, whether at Binghamton or Geneseo.

Accepted to Geneseo! Top 10%, 1300 SAT, 96.9 UW GPA. Different extracurriculars.
@dcalb1 What major are you interested in? I’m pretty sure in the end I’ll be deciding between Binghamton and Geneseo, since the privates I applied to are outlandishly expensive.

Accepted for Fall 2019? Yup!

Hometown? Cornwall, NY

Rigor of secondary school record? Pretty rigorous, not sure what was checked off, but probably “Most rigorous”
Standardized test scores? 31 ACT

Class rank? 18/265
Academic GPA? 97.263
Application Essay? Good…I wouldn’t say unbelievable but a nice solid piece of writing
Recommendation(s)? Again, I didn’t see them, but teachers/outside recommenders all liked me
Extracurricular activities? Really good…far too many to list, some of the strongest include equestrian for 10 years, ranked 8th in nation (IEA), interned with genetic counselor, 1700+ hours of volunteer work…
Talent/ability? ^^
Racial/ethnic status? Caucasian female

Character/personal qualities? reserved, analytical, dedicated
First generation? N/A
Alumni/ae relation? N/A
State residency? NY
Volunteer work? 1700+ hours…therapeutic riding, working summer camps, maple sugar tours, work with acupuncturist…a lot of very diverse opportunities
Work experience? Small self-employed jobs
Level of applicant’s interest? I visited…read emails…didn’t work super hard to make interest known though

@purpleroan, amongst those reporting today that they had received acceptance letters, Cornwall may be the farthest from Geneseo (i.e., a distance of almost 300 miles by car). Perhaps tomorrow we’ll hear from applicants from NYC, Long Island, etc.

Congrats on your acceptance to Geneseo!

@PhD411‌ yes, it is quite a distance away…almost 4 1/2 hours for us I think. But thank you!!!

My daughter got her acceptance yesterday, we are from ithaca NY, grades 97, ACT 30

Congrats to your daughter, clochette.

It’s interesting to note what we know about admitted students who have posted on this thread.

Letters received in the following geographical areas thus far:

Rochester, NY < 50 miles
Ithaca, NY ~ 100 miles
Syracuse, NY ~ 100 miles
Cornwall, NY ~ 300 miles

Stats for accepted students posting here:

ACT: 30, 31
SAT (M+CR): 1300, 1300
SAT (M+CR+W): 1990,
GPA (UW): 95, 96.9
GPA (W): 99
GPA (UW? W?): 97, 97.263

My d just received her acceptance letter.
We are in Suffern, NY
ACT 28 SAT 1220/1850
Weighted GPA 3.74
A wide variety of extra-curricular activities and volunteer work. Yearbook/Acting/Regular volunteer with a disabled child etc.

Accepted for Fall 2019? YES :slight_smile:

Hometown? jamaica, queens, Nyc

Rigor of secondary school record? most rigorous, 1 AP junior, 3 APs senior, some honors
Standardized test scores? 1460, 2100 total

Class rank? top 1 or 2/ 120ish
Academic GPA? 3.9ish
Application Essay? terrible, last para was solid though, mustve worked…
Recommendation(s)? havent read, not too spectacular though, i transferred in junior year. I was consistently late in one teachers pd 1 class, i thought she hated me, but I always aced her exams so she agreed to do the letter.
Extracurricular activities? varsity tennis, swim, robotics, UN team, volunteer
Talent/ability? meh… ping pong? math? (read none)
Racial/ethnic status? south east asian (orm?)

Character/personal qualities? im not a serial killer
First generation? in the US, yes
Alumni/ae relation? nope
State residency? yes
Volunteer work? yes
Work experience? tutoring/babysitting?
Level of applicant’s interest? not really, no, lol, i even forgot to tell my parents about the parent recommendation thingy

gg you must be right about that last paragraph of your essay being very effective. without it there was no way you’d be accepted you really got lucky

I got accepted from new London CT
4.01 GPA
29 act
24/570 rank
I did a lot of running as far as activities go

Congrats @becben, @ggwpafk823, and @willybilly.

@willybilly, you may be the first OOS admitted student to post here thus far!

look at the geneseo 2019 twitter. some of the “brilliant” accepteds are posting closeups of their acceptance letters, including their addresses and login ID info. not a sharp crew.

@jimtoes, by the some you are referring to as a crew, you mean 3?