Can I get into UM?

<p>Currently a Junior, took 3 AP's sophmore year, and taking 3 AP's and two college classes now.</p>

<p>STATS:
Unweighted GPA: 3.4
Weighted GPA: 4.3
SAT Score= 1730 (Superscore)</p>

<p>I am in 3-4 different clubs, and am currently holding one leadership position.
I will apply to UM Next year.</p>

<p>Try taking the ACT, or increase your SAT score, then you’ll have a pretty good chance! Good luck :)</p>

<p>What should I get the SAT score to? Is 1800 good?</p>

<p>Well, Miami only looks at critical reading and math: the writing portion is not considered. As of last year, the 25th percentile is about 1270, which means that you’d need to get about 630 on each section. In order to be considered for scholarships, it’s best to be in the 75th percentile, which I believe is about 1410 (about 700 on each section). I prefered the ACT, though; 29 is the 25th percentile, and 32 is the 75th. Whichever you choose, please take practice tests! :)</p>

<p>Thanks so much for your help!!</p>

<p>One Last Question: How much preparing did you do before you took the ACT?</p>

<p>My pleasure! :slight_smile: PM me if you ever need anything else!</p>

<p>And the first time I took the ACT, I got a 27 without any prep. The second time, I read Barron’s ACT 36 in its entirety and did the tidbits of practice tests therein. I got a 29; it was so disappointing. The third time I took it, I did 7 practice tests (all in a matter of two and a half weeks). It was sheer torture, but I was determined! I got a 31, and that brought my superscore up to a 32! (By the way, in case you didn’t know, Miami superscores ACT, unlike many other schools!). I would suggest taking about 10 full length practice tests between now and the last time you’ll take your ACT; it’ll pay of, trust me! Good luck! :)</p>

<p>I agree with Narissa. You can definitely improve ACT with practice. My son improved various sections each time he took it. Ended up with very nice merit aid at UM.</p>

<p>Peter, if you are a junior now, it is not too early to take the ACTs. Take it in April and June. If you start practicing now (even low key), you will do well in April. Then you can super-practice the sections you want to improve. It is totally do-able. Yes, I was a drill sargent, especially with my DS, since he needed merit aid to attend UM. But, once he got his acceptance and his academic award, he said it was worth it.</p>

<p>Both of my kids did better on the ACT than the SAT. Neither submitted SAT scores with college apps. Good luck!</p>

<p>I am going for SAT, but I will take the ACT in June, and study in May. </p>

<p>Narissa: As far as SAT Writing is concerned, does UM care for it at all? Like if I have a 600+ will they take this into consideration at all.</p>

<p>Miami does not consider the writing section on the SAT.</p>