Capstone Scholars Day

Hi- my daughter hasn’t visited Alabama yet but has the opportunity to attend Capstone Scholars Day in January. If we send her for this, will she be able to tour the engineering facilities that day or is it too busy a schedule that day for this? She would be traveling from the NE, so I want to make sure this trip would cover what she should see. Thank you!

I take it she is traveling alone? Personally, I think 1 day is not enough to tour the university, especially if you are traveling on the say day as well…and have another program’s schedule to follow to boot. Coming from so far, I would allow at least a 2nd day to be thorough in her investigating. Not that there is anything bad to discover. But there are many unexpected pleasant surprises to find if you have the time for them. If you/she only has 1 day to tour UA, I would suggest instead, a private tour organised through the Honors College and tailored to exactly what she needs and wants to see. Capstone Day is nice, but you are on someone else’s agenda and schedule. It is tailored to high stat kids, but not as individualised as it could be. I think a lot more ‘local’ students go than OOS-ers. Others who have been more recently can chime in and update my impressions.

CSDay is a Saturday, so not only would her schedule be too busy that day with CSDay events, there wouldn’t be faculty or student eng’g ambassadors to give her an eng’g tour. Also, there isn’t a real campus tour on CSDay either.

Typically, OOS students who are visiting for the first time THAT weekend, will arrive on Thursday night, and will have arranged with Eng’g or the Honors College to tour Eng’g or whatever dept interests them. Booking a Campus Tour that Friday morning is also advised.

If you decide to arrive on Thursday, book the Campus tour on Friday ASAP, and then notifiy Eng’g or the HC about that tour time and request that they arrange the rest of the day.

Thank you both very much. She is traveling alone but has a family member in B’ham who can attend with her. I will try to set her up to do tours on the Friday before.

Hi! My D has been invited as well. Is there any backlash for not attending? She has a mock trial competition the same weekend and really cannot bail on her team (plus she is captain).

No, there is no backlash…at all.

Many, many OOS students/families come to Capstone Scholars Day.

@PhilaSkiMom - I imagine your DD is aware of the great debate team UA has - has she visited campus yet?

Glad B’ham relative can come with @mamafrog daughter.

@SOSConcern - the funny thing is that she only joined Mock Trial because I am the attorney coach for the team. Despite fighting it, she now really enjoys it. We have not visited yet. She is very excited about all of the opportunities at Alabama. She also applied to GA Tech but they do not release decisions until January 9. Since it is a long trip, we are hoping to do both of those campuses on the same trip.