Capstone Scholars or Panhellenic Preview Day?

<p>I am already signed up to go to the Capstone Scholars Day in January, but I just found out that the preview weekend for sororities is also coming up in February. Alabama is my number one college at this point, but I still haven’t found out about a couple of my other applications. I’d like to place my housing deposit as soon as possible, but I want to visit campus first. My parents can only do one of the weekends since Alabama is so far away, so which do you think is more important to attend? I am going to be in the Honors College if I attend Alabama, but I am also really really interested in joining a sorority next year. </p>

<p>How negative would it be if I don’t attend the preview weekend in February? Do we find out any essential information that I would miss out on? I’ve never had any experience with sorority recruitment, so this is all new to me. I also heard about sending resumes to sororities, so when would it be wise to do that? I am so confused about all of this, so any information would be incredibly appreciated! Thank you for any help!</p>

<p>PS: I heard that if a parent who is scheduled to attend the Capstone Scholars Day cancels, I could email Alabama, and they’d let my mom take their spot (since both of my parents want to attend). If anyone has to cancel, please let me know! :)</p>

<p>I always tell out-of-state girls to attend Panhellenic Preview if at all possible! It helps to get a visual of the types of clothing and styles you might want to get for recruitment (they usually do a fashion show). Lots of information is given, you are broken into Rho chi groups and you are able to visit each sorority for a VERY short time. In addition invitation only teas and parties are held Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday morning.
HOWEVER…academics and scholarships are IMPORTANT. There are lots of us here who can help you get ready for recruitment. You can see the types of clothing girls wear by going to the UA Panhellenic Facebook page and going back to the August post of the Greek chic magazine. It has tons of information about recruitment! If you have questions pm me…I have helped several girls from your area.
Ultimately this is a decision that you and your parents need to make together…if you want to know more about Preview I am happy to help!</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your help! My biggest concern at this point is finding recommendations. I heard that people start looking for recs right around this time of year, so they can be sure to have them in time for recruitment. Do you know where I could look to find people to write my recommendations? Do I have to know them personally? :)</p>

<p>i think that, of those two, panhellenic weekend would be best. you can do the school tour etc on panhellenic weekend, but you can’t do panhellenic weekend on capstone day.</p>

<p>Is Capstone just a day where we see a presentation on the Honors College and tour housing and whatnot? I’ve heard it’s not an entire school tour, and, when I looked on the website, there weren’t any official campus tours available the Friday or Monday around that weekend. I’m afraid of waiting too long to pay the $150 deposit and housing deposit as late as February, since they are saying that you won’t necessarily get your first choice after January 1st. Does anyone know if we will still be able to pick our roommates after January 1st? I don’t have anyone in mind specifically, but I want to make sure my roommates and I are compatible.</p>

<p>there are no guarantees of getting to pick housing options if you deposit after jan 1. you MAY still be able to, but you can’t count on it.</p>

<p>i think visiting schools on unofficial visiting days is better.</p>

<p>Have you joined the 2017 Facebook page? Get on there and go to the need/find a roommate section. My D has already hooked up w/ a girl from another state and they will be rooming together. They plan on meeting at Preview. If you make a good connection then it is possible, but not a guaranee, that the other girl put her housing deposit down earlier and could pull you in to be her roomie. </p>

<p>You could always do the campus tour on Friday or Monday morning the weekend of Preview and call and schedule appointments and tours w/ the department you are interested in. </p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Thanks TxNewCollegeMom! That sounds great! I’ll definitely try to set that up.</p>

<p>@faithhopelove
My daughter is in the same predicament, and we decided to go to preview,and not capstone weekend based on advise we got from ahphimom. We also arranged a private tour of the campus via the Honors Admissions office on Friday before preview, so you can still get to see housing, and we get private tour of business school…so you get best of all worlds…and get a better idea as to whether Alabama isbestfit. we registered for Capstone, so we can cancel and can get your mom that spot if you prefer the other weekend . You can pm me and give me your name.</p>

<p>Thank you so much calmom! I’ll talk to my parents and tell them what you did and see what they think. That sounds wonderful! My mom and I really want to see sorority information, but my dad wants to make sure we don’t miss anything about the honors college. That seems like the perfect way to do both without spending hundreds on travel/hotels for both trips! I’ll keep in touch about getting a spot for my mom if they decide on the capstone weekend instead! :)</p>

<p>@faithhopelove
Sounds good…Happy New Year!</p>