Case Western Reserve Class of 2027 Official Thread

We did file FAFSA and CSS for my son but did not qualify for any aid, however, he received $43,500 from CRWU. That was a nice surprise. He was ready to lock in Cornell and is now seriously considering CWRU. It has many positives aside from the lower cost. So we are planning a visit.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if the University Scholarship can be renewed every year or is this a one time amount?

1 Like

I mean in the letter right after it states the award amount it says renewable for up to 8 semesters

1 Like

It renews and you can see they write semester not yeSr. This allows for a GAP year/semester or internship or any type of program that might take you away from CWRU for a period of time. Also of note is the scholarship also was once tied to performance at CWRU but that was basically removed too. From my understanding the school did not want students to feel extra pressure especially in the early semesters to earn a certain GPA to be able to remain at CWRU with merit.

4 Likes

Thanks for that! We are definitely going to admitted students day!

2 Likes

This is what I was told when I called to inquire about my son’s scholarship. As long as the student maintains the minimum GPA to remain enrolled, the scholarship is not at risk.

1 Like

This is great! I love how they want to help their students succeed but acknowledging that maintaining a certain GPA should not be added stress.

1 Like

anyone offered 1st Semester in Madrid? My son received 27K/year scholarship with sem1 in Madrid

This thread may be of interest.

1 Like

Thank you! Posted there

1 Like

CWRU has a single door policy. You can take any classes you want as long as you meet the pre-requisite and you declare your major in second year I believe.

My DD is a 22 graduate. The classes are rigorous and you have to be willing to do the work especially if you are wanting to to major in engineering or hard science. But the professors are really supportive and so are staff (at least in physics department). I was really impressed with the education my daughter received and would wholeheartedly recommend the school to anyone.

2 Likes

Have twins, both initially deferred. He was WLed and housing was mentioned as the reason, applied engineering. He has low mid 1500s evenly split, some minor awards that other kid does not have, bunch of leadership and top grades and APs. Other twin was accepted with 20 something merit (which I am now thinking is on the lower side since many got 43K on here), slightly lower SATs but not much, similar APs, grades equivalent although WLed kid very slightly better than accepted kid. Second kid might be considered a little more interesting (started some clubs at school but I am not sure it is anything that truly stands out) and wants liberal arts but nothing unusual.

Wondering if this was a yield protection WL or first twin was simply less interesting (he really is not and has the same level of activity) or because he applied engineering?

No one knows the rhyme or reason to what any school’s decisions are based on. CWRU doesn’t admit by major or to any of the colleges on campus. In general all the students that my daughter knows are well rounded in their activities and interest. Most have more than one major (or secondary major), are very active in campus life (or activities on campus), are extremely bright, and are passionate about something. It’s also interesting that the school seems to find this passion and then highlight in the PS of the admissions letter. Like many universities CWRU looks holistically. It is also a school that looks at demonstrated interest. So you note some different between your twins but we don’t know which differences were important to CWRU and how they wanted to fill out their class. We do know that initially both we deferred. So another thing CWRU would have seen from that is the form stating to keep your children in the pool. That is the first time a CWRU centric essay appears. It isn’t the why CWRU but rather how will your attendance at CWRU help you succeed in your future plans. That essay is definitely looked at and used in determining outcomes. It is that essay that for my daughter really demonstrated her passions and where her PS came from last year. For a deferral it is important too.

1 Like

The emails are a little out of control. They actually turned my DS off.

2 Likes

If that is the case then CWRU may be the wrong school. The emails continue when you are a student. Both student and parent get lots of information from the school. There are also multiple ways the school communicates. They are chatty and they handhold. Many schools once you are there parents see very little communication and students see only minimal amounts when it is time to tell you something. That isn’t CWRU. Something to consider if the emails are bothersome now.

1 Like

Yeah. He’s decided to turn it down. Should be done as of today.
It was his #1 pick. CRWU is definitely an impressive school. And it was an honor to be accepted and have a choice to make. Best wishes to all.

2 Likes

I have to say that as a mom of two “typical boys” who tell me very little, I truly love this about CWRU. My husband and I are constantly scratching our heads and asking each other who should bug our sons about asking about x, y, or z. Because sometimes we’ve made the mistake of both asking separately the same “nagging” question.

For instance, my son’s girlfriend’s mom texted me today to let me know that the kids’ proms are the same weekend but different days. One Friday, one Saturday. She told me her daughter’s theme and colors and asked what our school’s prom theme was. I have no idea. My son hasn’t even brought up prom! I guarantee you he won’t know either.

So I hugely appreciate a school that communicates with parents. Even if it seems silly and immature. So I add this to the Pro’s column when my son is trying to make his decision.

6 Likes

The emails were a little difficult as we are getting ones encouraging the twin who was accepted to come and meanwhile the other one was not accepted. As it turns out it is a moot point as they were both accepted at a reach school that came out today that assuming the money works out they would prefer. Not that they are necessarily going together (they do not care either way).

BTW, the reason they were deferred originally is because our FAFSA had not been submitted and Case is need aware.

I will say that while the hand holding is not a factor in the decision, I do like it, especially with boys but even girls. My older children attended a well known school that does very little hand holding and I honestly wish they would do more, especially in helping them get internships. A friend’s kid goes to a peer school of Case and her advisor had to sign off on her schedule and even made her change courses when she thought something was not appropriate. I think that is good

My daughter’s navigator helped her with her first semester registration and suggested taking one less course. He felt that it was too hard of a schedule to start with. When she asked about taking a history seminar he reminded her the he wasn’t giving the answer only advice but also said it was a better option. He wrote to congratulate her for her high deans list for that semester and then when she had Covid this semester was the liaison for her with all her professors. Meanwhile she also has an advisor - like other schools and then (and she hasn’t need the person yet) an assigned research librarian. CWRU has been wonderful sending parents weekly (at least updates) and even wrote us when the cleveland symphony was here in miami and the CWRU president was hosting an event. CWRU’s version of an orientation (discover CWRU) was superb. My son goes to my alma mater. Even though it’s 30 years later and everything is electronic the processes are still the same so he tends to ask me. I tend to refer him to his advisor and he does reach out to them but if they didn’t give an answer I know it. My daughter doesn’t have to ask us at all. The navigator takes care of all questions. It’s also neat how the departments bend over backwards to help students with achieving their goals. So the theatre department is creating a program for her while mech engineering is helping make sure she can major in mech e while doing a secondary major in theatre. The hand holding is nice. The school cares
about undergrads and many times research institutions forget them.

2 Likes

How long is the drop period? One thing that is good about my older child’s school (other than it is well known) is that it has a very long drop period. The strategy is that you take an extra course until the drop date and then whatever is not going well, you drop.

Sounds like a lot of handholding. Other than the peer school, I have not seen that at the three colleges my older kids attended (one transferred). One was a good mid level state school, and the others were well known private Us. One of my kids could barely pick their advisor out of a lineup, another had their advisor quit mid senior year and was not available for references and was not replaced. At the state school you did not have an assigned advisor, you simply walked into the advising office and met with whoever was available. I have only heard of the research librarian at one other school, I forget if it was Barnard or UChicago

1 Like