Case Western Reserve Early Decision/Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I agree that Case (like other schools) wants to protect yield. But by not requiring a college-specific essay they end up receiving applications from students who aren’t really that interested, which works against a high yield rate. Case is the only school my son has or will apply to that does not require a “Why this school” essay. If they asked for that, they would have a better idea of who is really interested and might go, which would do more to protect than guessing who is using Case as a safety and rejecting them. I know those “essays” (which typically are only 200-250 words) take some time to read, and maybe they don’t really correlate with who accepts and offer and doesn’t, but this is something I was wondering about.

9 Likes

I completely agree.

Same question. What other fees would add up to 8K.

I was thinking the same thing - a “why Case” essay would certainly sort out the kids who really want to go there, and might also reduce the number of those who applied as a back-up because there are no supplemental essays.

For what it’s worth, I spoke to admissions today with some questions I had about EDII, and they said they had a 24% increase in EA apps over last year. I’m sure that makes their marketing team happy, but it certainly makes it harder for our kids to stand out in an increasingly larger crowd!

8 Likes

Should be room and board.

Nice to have that acceptance locked in before the stressful January EA season starts! My D has 5 decisions coming out during the last two weeks of January. Not sure I can handle the stress after last night’s lead up to 8pm!

1 Like

our son is a junior at WPI and it is a great school. He will graduate in 5 years with his masters in computer and electrical engineering!!! Our friendship son is finishing in 4 years with his masters in CS and bachlors with minor. Great community of kids from all over the US and other countries

3 Likes

Yes, we’ve heard nothing but good things about WPI. My son chose to go elsewhere but it was a tough decision and it was in his final 3. Their acceptance rates are high, but I believe it’s because they do not play the numbers games (yield protection, etc) - they simply accept qualified students and let the chips fall as they may. I also hear it’s a pretty relaxed environment while at the same time academically challenging. The post graduate outcomes are excellent from what I’ve read. WPI is a great choice, and as we are in Mass already, it would save me a lot of driving if my D goes there.

1 Like

The Common Data set only mentions overall admissions and ED.

CWRU is no joke to be accepted to. Very competitive. I’m sorry for those deserving kids that were denied. Deferred to me is a time to re-evaluate. Take stock in what acceptances have come in already and look closer at those schools.

The ED2 is a new wrinkle. I don’t recall them having that when D18 had her debacle here. And yes, seems like they want deferrals to go that route.

Yes, to protect “yield” they will encourage ED2 so if you are admitted you are attending (finances willing);

2 Likes

CWRU is no joke to be accepted to. Very competitive. I’m sorry for those deserving kids that were denied. So happy for your son! And that’s a great award! We would do EDII in a heartbeat if we knew that D22 would get a stack of cash, but if she doesn’t, we would be in a pickle (I will have 3 in college in 2023-2024). Our hope was that her high stats would show them that she is a great candidate who would qualify for a nice merit award, but I guess she didn’t make that obvious enough in the application. Someone here posted that her son asked to submit a “why Case” supplement, which was a fantastic idea that I wish we had thought of!

If you can’t afford it, you are allowed to withdraw from ED/ED2.

My son was accepted EA. 1550 SAT, 3.75 UW GPA, CS major, major EC = music/ all-state band. $29K merit aid.

The acceptance came with a letter from the music department accepting him to the music major if he wants it (even though he didn’t apply for a music major - he just submitted an arts supplement video).

8 Likes

I recommend: be persistent (through EDII) or be patient (via RD), with a communication of continuing interest to attend Case. Either way Case is worth it. Our D is graduating from Case in May, 22. We can say from experience: Case is an amazing (and generous) school! She thrives at Case! Sure, we’re disappointed that our younger D was deferred by Case two days ago, but we are optimistic and hoping for good news from Case in March.

8 Likes

We’re in Wisconsin, so not a quick trip for us either. My son liked CWRU, but there are other schools that are a better fit for him. We may be back with my other son, perhaps. Good luck to your son as well!

1 Like

Since I asked the merit question, I’m back to say my EA Admitted kid received a 31.5K merit scholarship. It said University Scholarship. As noted above, he has 1550 SAT, is NMSF, took advantage of almost all rigor offered (that fit, and APs only allowed starting in 11th). He also is currently AP Scholar with Honor and will finish school with 7APs. Decent but not extraordinary ECs, some leadership. Participated in 2 year Science Research class. Visited, Interviewed and went to a local event. Followed social media - I told him to “like” things but not sure he did. Acceptance had a personal note about something in his essay, which he didn’t even notice as he didn’t read the whole letter. Given the stats of all the deferrals and rejections, we feel extremely lucky. Good luck to all that will choose to wait it out.

3 Likes

oops - forgot his GPA - it’s 98.12 weighted, but he only got 2 points per honors/AP class (e.g. a 97 is a 99), so his unweighted is just a touch lower.

1 Like

After reading all the messages, I can’t believe Case rejected so many best students and these students deserve better treatment. I am questioning myself “How can I trust the university to be good for my kid after enrollment if they are playing with students life during admissions (if yield curve protection is the reason for deferral)”. I will be very careful before putting my kid there.

4 Likes

Take it easy. Many schools do this. KIds will find schools fit t
TAKE

Are there any current CWRU parents or students on here who can comment about their experience at Case? I’m looking for info ~ not in a Q/A format~ but comments or PMs about life at CWRU.

There is SO much marketing. I can’t make heads or tails of how kids actually fare here. We’re wondering about:

Happiness level? Academic support? Accessibility of opportunities? Safety of neighborhood? Ability to make friends? Comparison to other peer schools? Would you make this decision again?

Thanks!

Hope this helps! Found this on reddit: Reddit - Dive into anything