CAUS chances please!

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Out of state applicant for the the Architecture program. I know it is extremely competitive. What are chances with the following stats:</p>

<p>700 verbal/630 math
4.25 weighted GPA</p>

<p>IB diploma candidate (4 yrs science, english, spanish, math, etc)</p>

<p>Strong extra-curriculars
-founded 80 member club for environmental concerns
-YMCA volunteer of the month
-National Honor Society
-Speech & Debate</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>You have a shot at getting in. You will most likely get in but we don't know how many slots were filled by early decision applicants.</p>

<p>From what we learned in our tour/info session at VT last August, your GPA looks good as do your scores. The extracurricular activities don't seem to really be emphasized at all; Tech is very numbers driven. During the info session the adcom really highlighted an applicant's GPA and rigor of curriculum. Test scores were also mentioned, but she downplayed things like ECs and recommendation letters. </p>

<p>I agree with Dal about not knowing how many in- state kids applied for the program ED or how many will apply during RD, but S heard (from other kids so this may or may not be factual) that they accept only about 100 new kids a year into the arch program itself. It is a tough school to get into just due to the restrictions on seats/placements. I wish you all of the best! Where else are you looking?</p>

<p>I remember an admissions officer stating the slots as 100, and that they get 10 times as many applicants as they have slots.</p>

<p>The 1000 applications for 100 slots is consistent with what we heard on our tour. We weren't thinking about Tech seriously until after the tour and S fell in love with the campus. The facilities there are incredible.</p>

<p>Waiting to hear from UF. Admitted into UNC-Charlotte and NC State overall, but both schools require portfolios and interviews. Working on that now. </p>

<p>UF is attractive because it is in state for us and S really enjoyed the summer design program and campus atmosphere there.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input. We'll keep our fingers crossed for now!</p>

<p>peas (love your screen name btw! :)
Isn't it amazing that after visiting a school, even for a brief period of time, a student can come away with such strong opinions?! </p>

<p>Being new to all of this, I never really realized just how important visits were until we started doing them. I think for majors like architecture, visual art, the sciences, engineering, etc. it is so important for the kids to see the "spaces" where they will be working. That kind of stuff just isn't shown in the glossy guidebooks or on the net. </p>

<p>I know what you mean about in-state being $$ attractive. VT is in state for us and imho offers the best bang for your buck in our state when it comes to offering so many strong majors. We looked at NC State, too, but S didn't like the campus, although the school's architecture and design program is well-regarded around here. </p>

<p>In addition to his strong academics, I think his geographic location would be a plus. He would definitely need to put away his Florida flip flops for some boots with those cold, windy Blacksburg winter months, though! :) Good luck and keep us posted on how it all turns out for you all!</p>

<p>I've been noticing the same thing about Campus visits. I'm a first generation college student, so my parents have no experience with it as well.</p>

<p>Living in Northern Virginia has given me a few "horror stories" about Tech being in the middle of nowhere and that they go to the local Walmart for fun. Visiting campus made me less wary about applying there. Other campuses have yielded strong opinions as well and has helped a lot in the decision making process.</p>

<p>Personally, I've been having a huge desire to go to college out of state and my parents have been trying to pull me back into Virginia by offering things like my own car and off campus residence if I go to tech (simply because it is that much cheaper) =P We'll see what happens though =)</p>