Chances?

<p>Is it likely that I could get accepted into the Architecture program here?? I most likely would be interested in an Architecture major considering Tech's really well-known for it. </p>

<p>GPA: 4.5, rank 9/300
SAT I: CR: 680 MATH: 640 WRITING: 750
SAT II: KOREAN: 780 USHISTORY: 770 MATH: 690 English: 660</p>

<p>-I'm aware that my scores are rather low, especially math and english haha but I'm planning on taking them again October and November >_></p>

<p>AP: English Lang: 4, US History: 4, Euro History: 4, Human Geography: 5, Psychology: 5, Macroeconomics: 4, Microeconomics: 4, Calculus AB: 4</p>

<p>Volunteering:
Korean School Assistant Teacher for 3 years: 3 hours every Saturday (excluding holidays, semester breaks)
YWAM Mission trip in downtown Houston: feeding homeless, various church related activities
ECAMP: English-camp in South Korea (Daejeon) for 2 weeks, teaching English to children for free
Tanglewood Arboretum: 3 days of yardwork at an arboretum in NC, around 6 hours a day</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:
Model UN president, Asian club, Stamp club, Math Honors Society, National Honors Society, National English Honors Society, Math Honors Society, National Science Honors Society</p>

<p>Varsity Soccer player 1 year, JV 2 years (captain) </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I would say you have a pretty good chance of getting in. Where are you from?</p>

<p>I’m from Yorktown, VA. I’m pretty sure that I can apply for financial aid… Does UVA usually give out scholarships for merit?</p>

<p>VT* I mean. (Scholarships)</p>

<p>I’d say pretty good. We got in with a slightly lower GPA and SAT score but a higher AP average (more exams as well).</p>

<p>Ryan650, are you referring to the chance of me getting in the program or getting scholarships? Thanks!</p>

<p>Your chances are excellent to get into the program, you’ll also be a strong candidate for University Honors. I can’t speak to scholarships but odds are that you will receive something partial whether it be a scholarship or grant.</p>

<p>hdkyu10 writes “I most likely would be interested in an Architecture major considering Tech’s really well-known for it.”</p>

<p>Perhaps it was just your phrasing but I’m hoping that you aren’t “interested” in Architecture simply because VT has a good program. VT will evaluate your application based mainly on strength of schedule ( a plus for you based on the number of AP classes), GPA (yours is good), and your standardized test scores (yours should be good enough). Fortunately they don’t expect applicants to have prepared a portfolio of designs.</p>

<p>While you are a competitive candidate there will be thousands of applicants with good GPAs (over 4.0) with better SAT scores and equivalent or better ECs. So merit aid is tough but not impossible. Note that much of VT’s merit aid may be limited to those who also have financial need. </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Thanks guys! And to be honest, I’m so undecided on my major and I don’t really have too much of an idea of how architecture will be… This is kind of a broad question (haha), but do you know what I could expect?</p>

<p>I can’t tell you what to expect, hopefully there will be some Arch students on the board that can eventually help. I’d suggest you do online research/library research into Architecture to see whether it’s something that you think you would be interested in pursuing. They will teach you the art/design aspects but it would help if you had some basic talent in that area.</p>

<p>hdkyu10, here is a link with some profile numbers for incoming CAUS students:
[CAUS</a> student profile | CAUS | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.caus.vt.edu/admissions/student-profile.html]CAUS”>http://www.caus.vt.edu/admissions/student-profile.html)</p>

<p>It will help that you are instate I believe. You would be wise to follow Chris’ advice and do some investigative work into the arch profession before making the commitment to major in it. I am not an arch student, but know two very well (one is my s, one is one of his best friends) and it is one of the most intense majors you can choose. Many, many hours in the studio, all nighters are the norm and a culture that you either embrace or quickly find is not for you. I wouldn’t advise choosing it because it is something VT is well known for; you need to choose it because you can’t imagine doing anything else. If that is not the case, the sacrifices in your time will not be acceptable to you. </p>

<p>Best of luck to you as you go through the process!</p>