CBHP Scholarship?

<p>My daughter will be attending UA next fall and is very excited about it. However, this question is not for her, but for a friend of hers who I think would be great for CBHP. Is there any type of scholarship associated with being chosen for CBHP? This friend needs a full-ride and has great stats. He has been offered full rides at a few colleges, but I don’t think he’s very excited about attending any of them. However, his parents will not pay much because he will qualify for free rides at decent schools. Just wondering if CBHP had additional scholarship money above the Presidential Scholarship and $2500 engineering scholarship or if there were any other scholarships to help with housing/meals/books?</p>

<p>In the last year or two, many/most/all of the non-NMF CBHers have been given some additional money. I don’t think it’s guaranteed, but it seems to be likely. (don’t know if eng’g majors are excluded because they also get more money)</p>

<p>Hopefully a FROSH non-NMF CBHer who is an eng’g major can chime in.</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman, a non-NMF CBHer who was pulled in out of the reserve pool. She did not receive any additional money. She isn’t an eng’g major, but she does have the Presidential and a dept. scholarship. It is her very favorite class, though, and she is so happy to have been given the opportunity to be a part of it all!</p>

<p>I don’t think he would apply to UA unless he thought he could get enough scholarship money to at least pay his housing. He can get that at UAH, which he thinks is a better engineering school than UA. I don’t know which is better for engineering, but I would think the college experience would be so much better at Bama. My daughter and I visited both UA and UAH, and the atmosphere at UA was so much better in our opinion. Anyway, this kid is very smart. His SAT is >1500, ACT is 35, has taken 7 AP classes through his junior year (5s on all of them except a 4 in English), and is taking 4 AP classes his senior year as well as 2 IB classes. He will probably be valedictorian or salutatorian in a class of over 500. Super smart kid that would be an asset to any school. </p>

<p>Yes, it is possible, but I have no idea how students are selected for the CBH scholarship. Our Ds has multiple 4 yr scholarships from UA which cover all expenses. Ds chose UA for financial reasons, but he has zero regrets. He absolutely LOVES UA and CBH. He is home for fall break right now and consistently tells all who ask that he could not have made a better choice.</p>

<p>Our ds is a very strong student. He would have been “an asset to any school” just like you describe the young man above. He feels like CBH and UA will offer him opportunities he couldn’t have gotten elsewhere. His ultimate goal is physics research and being in CBH guarantees that access to reseach opportunities. Bc UA is so supportive of undergrad research, their undergrads have an impressive list of major undergrad research awards.</p>

<p>I think cbh is filled with those “assets at any school”. My daughter came in from a large hs (class of over 600), had a high GPA, great SAT score and over 45 credits due to AP’s and CLEP (foreign language). She was actually classified as a second semester sophomore. She was an All-state athlete who had won numerous awards for that, as well as leadership awards. She also won a large scholarship from our area’s athletic director/coaches association. </p>

<p>She made the decision back in August before senior year that she wanted UA and it is the only school she applied to. We are a military family who used to live in B’ham and she missed AL. She was accepted before senior year began and in fact, shifted her schedule to include another AP she knew she would need. She has never looked back and a late invitation into cbh was just the icing on the cake. If you search cc for cbh, you will see numerous threads about how wonderful it is. My daughter absolutley loves it, the faculty, and her classmates. We believe it will only open more doors for her. Agree with above that UA offers opportunities our daughter wouldn’t have gotten at another school. </p>

<p>

. Agree! Completely. Ds says CBH is full of amazing students.</p>

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I am a current CBHer. I actively talk with many of the fresman in CBH, and more than a few of them have recieved the NMF scholarship as well as the engineering and CBH scholarships. While not all CBHers recieve a scholarship, the scholarships provided by CBH are allowed to stack on top of the NMF and engineering scholarships. </p>

<p>Larkum is correct. :wink: </p>

<p>It can be hard to figure out who gets the awards and who doesn’t. A couple years ago, when the NMF award included 4 years of housing, those students didn’t seem to receive the extra CBH money. </p>

<p>Then the following year, the NMF scholarship changed significantly, so maybe CBH began awarding to some NMF students. </p>

<p>I know someone who came off the CBH wait-list, kind of late this year, and was awarded the extra money. That may be because the person who was first awarded the money, decided to go elsewhere and CBH just let the money follow to the next person. </p>

<p>Maybe it’s score related? </p>

<p>It would be very strange if there is no rhyme or reason. </p>

<p>Just a word of encouragement for those who DON’T get into CBH or one of the other “elite” programs. My son applied to none of these programs (just had no interest at the time and was caught up in applications to other schools), but he has been blown away by the quality of the honors engineers he’s met. He attended a selective private high school filled with kids heading to Ivies and other elite schools, and he says his Bama friends are every bit as impressive, if not more so, because their achievements were attained without a lot of private tutoring and expensive test prep classes. </p>

<p>Bama was only on his radar because I pretty much made him apply. A year later, he LOVES it there.</p>

<p>I don’t pretend to know how the scholarships are awarded, but I doubt it is based just on test scores. If I had to guess, my guess would be that it has to do with their interviews and their enthusiasm/commitment to research.</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone for the very informative posts. I will pass the information along and see what happens. My daughter is a very good student, but this kid is exceptional. I found out another reason he hasn’t applied to Bama is because everyone in his family is a huge Auburn fan. He has an older sister who is a senior at Auburn now, but they are not being very generous with their scholarship offer for him. So right now he thinks he is going to end up at either UAH or UTK, mainly for financial reasons. </p>

<p>I know he plans to get a master’s degree, so I will let him know that the Presidential Scholarship will pay for graduate classes also. He should have around 60 AP credits, so I think that would be a great opportunity for him. I don’t understand the loyalty toward Auburn when they aren’t showing him the money, but it will be his loss if he won’t even consider Bama. I know my daughter is very excited and grateful to be going to Bama next fall on the Presidential Scholarship. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Money isn’t everything - lot of kids with full tuition at UGA and UA select other schools because of fit or other reasons - I’m sure that’s why UA have a lot of their students as well. It really should never be ALL about the money or everyone would commute to their local community college (which is a great option if dome of the college scene is not important to you). </p>

<p>I understand money isn’t everything, but without money, ones options are limited. This is especially true if you don’t want to be more than a 6-hr drive from home. What I am saying is that I don’t understand why someone wouldn’t even want to consider a college just because they favor a rival school. They don’t even know about the other school, but they don’t like it just because it is a rival of their favorite school. It just doesn’t make sense to me, but to each his own.</p>

<p>That is not too smart IMO - UA has a lot to offer and my son is one who went the other way for less money but we definitely gave it a hard look and neither one of us can say anything negative about the school - just found what he thought was a better fit.</p>

<p>Are you sure it’s just because they are a rival and not a more concrete reason?</p>

<p>Ds was left with a completely negative opinion of Auburn after our trip there. (And I am in 100% agreement. It was not based on a simple campus tour. It was a dept meeting and the dean and the undergrad advisor both had us immediately eliminating Auburn as a possible option.) Has the young man in question visited both schools, interviewed their depts, sat in on classes? If not, it is something I would consider encouraging. Ds’s experiences with visiting campuses, talking to depts/professors, sitting in classes gave him definite direction in his decision-making process. </p>

<p>If the young man has definitive goals, he may find support at one school that is completely lacking at another. For example, undergrad research. UA has multiple programs in place to help undergrads have research opportunities. At another school, ds was told that the professors “were too busy to have undergrads in their labs.” Ok. Fine and dandy. That school got a big red line through it! If grad school is a goal, asking where undergrads went to grad school could come with responses like, “We have grads from our dept attending everywhere from MIT, Stanford, Arizona, etc.” Real experience—at one school we received the answer, “I don’t know. (looking at someone else) Do you know where any have gone?” The response from the other person was, “No. I don’t know any, either.” (This from a dept with a total size of 40 undergrads, 10/yr) Ok then! Not a place where they are seriously interested in their undergrads!!</p>

<p>Making a decision based on a website, a ranking, and the sound of the name is really not the best decision-making process.</p>

<p>If you’re not familiar with the rivalry between the two SEC schools (Alabama and Auburn), it can be quite an eye-opener! As someone from another part of the country, I had no idea until I witnessed it firsthand. It can be entertaining, and also a little off-putting, but @TNmomof1 I would encourage this student to apply and let the process play out. Too great an opportunity to ignore. I met a woman at Bama Bound who had twins headed to each school this fall. </p>

<p>@Mom2aphysicsgeek Just wondering if we should even bother visiting Auburn?? We visited Alabama and were wowed but my D is only interested in CBH so if she doesn’t make it in, she needs to consider other schools. What was so different about Auburn? My D intends to major in either physics or engineering. </p>

<p>Please mention to the young man that UAH is a wonderful engineering school, and should he chose to attend there, he will not be disappointed. My younger son is a freshman there, and the education that he is receiving is top-notch. The classes are challenging. There are big opportunities for co-ops and internships. With a 35 on the ACT, he would also receive housing for four years, and the housing is nice. My son has a roommate who is receiving full tuition and housing – he is a chemE major. My son has several other friends who are engineering majors, all of whom have nice scholarship packages.</p>

<p>UAH does have programs for earning a masters in five years of schooling. My son already has talked about getting an MBA or masters in math, and he really likes Huntsville. </p>

<p>That said, my older son was a NMF and a CBHer. He did not receive any additional monies from the program while at Bama, but he knew students who did. Some got an extra $2000 or so a year that they put toward their housing in addition to the engineering scholarship money. So it did reduce their costs.</p>