Certificate in Business

<p>I am going to be persuing a major in Comm Arts at UW and I have an interest in recieving a certificate in Marketing as well. I see that one must apply for to be apart of the certificate program as a junior, does this mean that I should not take any marketing classes next year as a sophmore? Am I even allowed to take classes through the business school if I am not apart of the certificate program (meaning I would not be eligible to take them until I was accepted into the certificate program) If someone could clarify this for me I would really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Have you contacted your advisor/the major advisor and asked them? You shouldn’t even need an appointment, as this can probably be answered by email and then you’d be certain. </p>

<p>But the courses should have prerequisites listed, and you can see them by looking them up in the catalog (student center has them too). If they say admission to major required, then no, you can’t take them until you’re admitted. I’d guess this is the case since it’s the Business School, but if you’re unsure, like I said, email or call the advisor; you can’t go wrong.</p>

<p>Is there a marketing certificate, though? There is a business one, but you confused me with the marketing bit. [Certificates</a> and Specializations - Undergraduate Programs - UW-Madison School of Business](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/majors/certificates.asp]Certificates”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/majors/certificates.asp) and this <a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/certificate/ProgramRequirements.asp[/url]”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/certificate/ProgramRequirements.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Just keep in mind the prerequisites to the required courses of the major if there are any; regardless, you should be able to take those next year. Looking at that list, it does look like you could be able to take some of the legit classes for the business certificate next year (assuming you’re a sophomore with junior standing).</p>

<p>“The Certificate in Business (CIB) program provides non-business students the opportunity to earn a concentration in a clearly defined academic program in business…” </p>

<p>As you can see it states that you must have a concentration on a subject within the business program, that is why I believe I could get a certificate in marketing, just to clarify pathetique.</p>

<p>I don’t think that’s what it means. You’ll get “Awarded Certificate in Business” not marketing, and if you see the program requirements, there’s nothing about choosing a concentration. Certificates aren’t that in depth. You can change the courses you take for your breadth requirements, and sure, you can take marketing coursework, but that doesn’t get you a marketing certificate, it gets you a certificate in business. Marketing would have its own separate certificate, and it doesn’t. </p>

<p>But what do I know except what I glean from the website. Honestly, if you haven’t talked to a business advisor about this, you should. It would put you beyond “believing” you could get a marketing certificate and into knowing you could. And I’m not saying this to poke fun or be a jerk. I really think you should, since it seems like you haven’t.</p>

<p>I am not able to yet, as I will not be admitted for another couple days, due to my grades not being posted online until Tuesday. Sorry, I didn’t really add that detail in, so I’m not being lazy, just trying to get some insight before I actually go to an advisor with my questions. But thanks for your reply, I guess I misunderstood what the website was saying.</p>

<p>Ah, yeah, that’ll put a damper on things. :B</p>

<p>But on your original question, it does look like you’ll be able to take the classes without being admitted to the certificate program/school, assuming you have the prerequisites (probably things like Econ 101), and they’re not major only.</p>

<p>You can take MKT 300 (and any other business course) any time you want. They’ll be restricted to business students for the first few weeks of registration, and then they open up to everyone. Regardless of whether you get a Cert. in Bus., you can take the course. </p>

<p>By this point in the year, all courses for summer and fall in the business school are open to everyone.</p>

<p>All classes in the business school do not open up to non business majors by this time for fall classes. For example, General Business 300 requires So or Jr standing, and ‘must be BUS student’, even now.</p>

<p>Madison85 is right, but Professional Communications is a unique course that must be completed in the first 2 semesters or else you need to fill out a form, etc. Also, BUS 300 is not a required course for the business certificate for non-business students. </p>

<p>In any case, almost all courses in the B-school are now open to all students (if they’re not full). And MKT 300 is one of them</p>