Chance a hopeful for Wisco?

<p>I live in Florida.
I'm a hispanic jew.</p>

<p>What are my chances for getting into University of Wisconsin-Madison?</p>

<p>GPA 3.4/3.8</p>

<p>Freshman year 6 honors, 6 Bs
Sophomore year 6 honors, 3 As 3 Bs
Junior year 4 honors 2 APs, 3As 3 Bs (Bio AP, APUSH)
Senior year 2 honors 4 APs... (AP French, AP Statistics, AP Government/AP
Macroeconomics, AT Microbiology)</p>

<p>^^^
I guess that shows an upward trend?</p>

<p>SAT: took twice got 1310/2030 E:11 Will take one more time
ACT: took once got a 30 E:10 Will take one more time</p>

<p>^^^
Which one should I send in? </p>

<p>Extra Curriculars:
-Volunteered at Memorial children's center for 20 weeks, 2 hours a week. (Sophomore) (Junior)
-Went 4 years in a row to Congres (French competition in Orlando)
-Part of Friends of FRAT, went to autistic child's house for 20 weeks, 2 hours a week. (Sophomore)
-Volunteered at Kesher, a program that provides a an education for children with learning disabilities from pre-school through high school. (Junior)
-Head of snack food drive for children at the respite shelter in Women in Distress of Broward County. Collected over 600 individual snacks. (Junior)
-Head of school supplies drive for children from low income families so they can do school work at an after school daycare. (Junior)
-Volunteered for a month in Fiji, heading various projects for rebuilding communities and the environment. (56 hours, 2009)
-President of HELP Club, for underprivileged children and battered women (Junior)
-Vice President of FRAT (Fostering Relationships with Autistic Teens and Children) (Junior)
-Treasurer of Green Team (Freshman)
-NHS Member
-National French Honors Society Member
-National Science Honors Society
-NFL (National Forensic League) Member</p>

<p>I want to major in Biology.</p>

<p>Is my URM status (hispanic) very beneficial?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Are you a junior or a senior? If a senior you should have had your SAT/ACT scores in by Feb. 1 along with your application, transcripts and recs.</p>

<p>Sorry for the confusion, I’m a junior.
What do you think my chances are?</p>

<p>Your gpa junior year seems low for UW hopefuls. You need to study hard and master the HS material to best prepare you for the rigors of UW college work. Your AP test scores will give you an idea of how your HS grades translate into knowledge. An upward trend to only a 3.5 isn’t impressive, especially with your test scores. Religion is not a factor. Reevaluate yourself next September- see if you think you can handle the UW work.</p>

<p>NP. It wasn’t clear your junior grades were 1st semester grades and you listed 4 years at the French competition.</p>

<p>It all looks very good except for the unweighted GPA being somewhat low. Does your school rank and do you know what your rank is? A higher rank can overcome the lower GPA showing little grade inflation at your school. What kind of high school is it? You still have time to work on the GPA too.</p>

<p>Unless one of your ACT/SAT scores increases greatly on retake, I’d send them both in. They confirm each other.</p>

<p>I think being Hispanic will help, can’t say how much. You’re a solid candidate without a boost, especially if your GPA continues to go up. It does show a good trend. The rigor is there too. What level of math will you have taken by the end of senior year? I see stats but no mention of Calc.</p>

<p>I’m taking calc honors this year because my school didn’t allow me to take Calc AP AB</p>

<p>keep up the work and you will get in</p>

<p>You look like a fairly solid lock - if this site ever gets too scary, remember that UW’s acceptance rate is still above 50%.</p>

<p>Thanks drought… I was almost considering UW a safety school after looking at some of the stats! I know my GPA is pretty low, but my school doesn’t rank and I know it’s a very competitive private high school.</p>

<p>I was in the same situation as you. I was sure that UW was my safety, and then I logged onto this site and saw stories about people with 3.95’s and 34’s getting postponed and I started to worry… but it wasn’t necessary as I got accepted (only two weeks after I applied).</p>

<p>thanks, how were your stats?</p>

<p>3.7 uw/2300 sat.</p>

<p>wow, well obviously you got in! hopefully i can too</p>

<p>just found this…</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.education.wisc.edu/cap/UW_FreshmanExpectations.pdf[/url]”>http://www.education.wisc.edu/cap/UW_FreshmanExpectations.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>so with a 3.4 and a 30 on the act, i can expect a 70% chance of admission!</p>

<p>still a chance for u man, seriously it comes down to ur deterinmation and aspiring words of ur essay. I got in with a 3.4 gpa and ACT of a 21. Really try getting ur gpa to a 3.5 retake ur tests. and trust me: numbers dont determine everything, im proven fact. But if anything request to get in trough (TRIO) when u apply in the fall. google it for more info. Good luck and best wishes</p>

<p>FYI i had a 5% prediction on that chart and my conuseler told me i shouldn’t even try.</p>

<p>That expectations chart had disappeared for awhile- thought they dropped it from the admissions site. Remember the middle 50% of admitted students fall into the ranges- there will be 1/4 of the students below and 1/4 above those numbers. And not all students with the numbers get in- there are the other factors. You can’t get in if you don’t apply, you have a chance if you apply.</p>

<p>I think maybe the admissions folks thought the chart was a little too informative and was costing them some applicants. Might also scare away minority apps who appear to be in the lower 25% chance and less area when in fact they had a good shot. Just my opinion.</p>

<p>yea i agree, its just nice to see that i have a 70% chance… its encouraging</p>