Chance a Math/Business Major for UCB/UCLA (Don't mind either major)

Intended Major: Applied Mathematics/Business
State (if domestic applicant): Texas
School Type: Large, public
Ethnicity: Hispanic

SAT: 760M, 710RW = 1470
Unweighted GPA: 3.93
Weighted GPA: 4.48
Weighted and Capped UC GPA: 4.34

AP (Taken during sophomore/junior year): WHAP: 4, Euro: 4, Spanish Lang: 5, English Literature: 3, APUSH: 4 (Taking BC Calculus this year)
IB (Diploma Candidate) Scores during Junior Year: Econ: 5, Spanish: 6 (SL)

Extracurriculars

• Interact Club (service club)
  • Varsity Golf (started as a senior)
  • NHS (1 year)

Job/Work Experience:
– Summer Intern for an engineering company

Volunteer/Community service:
– 150+ hours

Summer Activities:
– Internship at engineering company
– Extended Essay Seminar, Research workshop

Awards
– National Hispanic Scholar
– AP Honors with Distinction

@thebvselone:

UCLA does not have a Business school so you are applying as a Business Econ major or Applied Mathematics?

UCB’s Business school is not a direct admit so you apply after Sophomore year.

Being an OOS applicant, the acceptance rates are a bit higher than in-state but the academic bar is set higher for OOS applicants.

You are definitely competitive but since both schools have low acceptance rates, they should be considered Reach schools. Is the $65K/year price tag for UCLA/UCB affordable for you and your family?

UC’s offer little to no financial aid so expect to pay full fees and run the Net price calculators to verify.

UCB would be either business or math, UCLA would only be applied mathematics. I am fine taking either business or math at UCB, whichever one i got accepted into. The calculator said I’d get no aid, so I’d be fine with paying. Do you think I have a better chance at one over the other?

Both Math and Business majors are found in the College of Letters and Sciences at UCLA/UCB and the College of L&S does not admit by major so there is no advantage over one major vs. the other.

For UCB:
The business major is in a separate division and admits students in a competitive holistic process. Frosh intending business majors begin in another division (usually L&S), take the business major prerequisites, and apply (usually in their second years). They also need to take prerequisites for a backup major in case they are not admitted to the business major.

@thebvselone . . . your quals look good.

I was going to say that it doesn’t matter that UCLA doesn’t have a pure business major, just as long as you do your internships, join the Undergrad Business Society or one of the more specific clubs in things like consulting or IB, and maintain a modicum of scholarship.

It actually helps that UCLA doesn’t have an undergrad bus school because this opens up things for a wide array of majors, just as long as the students studying them do the things listed in my prior paragraph.

You’ve already served an internship with an engineering company which is very admirable. If this is the way you’re leaning then they’ll certainly need business managers also.

The various math majors like stats, applied math, financial actuarial mathematics are all good bus-related majors.

Getting in is one thing. Being able to pay for it is something completely different. If you’re out of state, California cost more than most private schools because of the atrocious cost of living over there. Do you have a way to pay for it? Because, financial aid is based on California residents. Before you do anything else, find out first if you can afford California. If not, then you’ll need to stick with schools in Texas.