Chance an extremely variable applicant with strange ECs. Also help find a better list of unis to apply to [CA resident, 3.42 GPA (3.76/4.03/4.52 for UC); math + ? major]

So…what exactly is it you would like “help” with?

Mostly just to find other unis I could be interested in.

As I’ve mentioned I’ll look into a lot of the unis people advise but the question of “is this truly worth me applying to and worsening the quality of my other applications for a chance to get here?” and "am I going to enjoy this more than ASU " are going to be at the back of my mind

How is it you are taking Calc 3 and Diff Eq at the same time as BC?

And if your AP scores so far have been 4’s (perfectly respectable- but not 5’s) that might be the universe telling you to SLOW DOWN. You don’t need to be self studying, taking DE’s on top of IB. As a prospective math/CS/Physics major, developing a solid base of skills in foundational classes is MUCH more important than zooming ahead and self-studying.

So take a deep breath. You don’t need to be doing all of this. You need to show that you can excel academically, which is not the same thing as taking every DE or self studying every possible advanced math subject. Why are you taking optics if you haven’t even completed physics yet?

4 Likes

How are you planning to “skip” the first two years?

2 Likes

Agree. Nobody skips the first two years.

You MAY get SOME credit for your DE’s or AP’s. But not enough to get a Bachelor’s in two years…

2 Likes

I’m not taking it at the same time as BC. I’m self-studying BC this year but taking all of the courses I’ve mentioned next year (including optics).

This year for my DEs I’m taking:
Fall:
Intro to Comp Sci (this is my only B in my DE courses as this is the hardest course my CC offers apparently)
Survey of World Music Honors
Intro to Psychology

Spring:
Intro to Microeconomics Honors
Comp Sci Methods
General Chemistry 1

Next year is when I take the fun courses
Fall:
Calc III
Linear Algebra
Intro to Witchcraft, Magic, and Religion honors

Spring:
Differential Equations
Optics
Some other course idk yet (prolly going to be between discrete structures, intro to astronomy, or general chemistry II)

And yeah it probably is the universe telling me to slow down but at the end of the day I choose between either getting 2 years of university completely for free or having a “better” application and risking not getting any university for free and having to spend 4 years of tuition.

I think we can both agree that there’s not much of a benefit to risking me just going to uni period and this opens up my borders to a lot of other unis that if I had went down a traditional 4 year route would’ve been inaccessible to me (ASU, NYU, High Point, etc.)

A lot of universities don’t have limits on the # of credits that transfer due to DE, afaik most of the unis I’m applying to don’t have a credit limit. ASU letting me transfer 64 credits, the UCS and Cal Poly Humboldt allowing me to transfer all of my credits, NYU of course only lets me take 1 years worth of credit but with my other IB and AP classes can easily be boosted to 2 years worth of credits, and a bunch more.

Basically: redundancy and strange planning of classes.

Either way, even if I don’t get to transfer most of my credits, if I at least get to transfer my math credits it’s very much possible for me to graduate in 2 years where I take a couple more courses than the average person that relate to GenEd. Basically I’m trying to break into the upper-level courses and once I’m in that upper-level I’ll finish my GenEd requirements alongside it and most GenEds to my knowledge only take about 2 years to complete and since most upper level courses take about 2 years to complete that means I’m looking at 2 years probably

Is there some reason you don’t want a four-year residential college experience virtually tuition-free?

1 Like

Your grandfather’s income/assets are not considered in any way on FAFSA. Your mother’s income qualifies you for a full Pell Grant. That’s all fine and dandy, but it does you no good unless a school promises to meet need or has scholarships for which you might qualify. Having a couple schools that “might” give you enough money is fine, but you absolutely must include schools that WILL give you enough money. The reach schools that meet need would almost certainly give you a lot of money … I suspect that you would be given a non custodial parent waiver, but even if you had to get his information, he’s poor, so it most likely wouldn’t hurt your financial aid. The problem is, reach schools are just that … reaches. You might not get into any of them. It happens.

So … you have to include schools that would be affordable & that are “safeties.” Automatic full merit schools. Schools that meet need but are not ridiculously difficult for a student with your stats to get into. People on this thread know what they are talking about - please take their school suggestions seriously. You can always go to one of those reach schools for grad school.

There is nothing worse than students who refuse to apply to schools that they definitely can get into AND definitely can afford. When April rolls around, they panic because they can’t afford any of their options. Please don’t let this be you.

8 Likes

I would definitely love to have that but if you look at my GPA and my ECs I sure as hell don’t qualify for any of that. That’s the reason why I’m not bothering to risk anything over a potential to get a full ride somewhere since either 1: a uni that would offer it to me has some major flaws that I can’t get over or 2: I just don’t qualify for it.

Even if I get straight As in all of my courses my UW GPA maxes out to a 3.79. Most scholarships I know ask for at least a 3.8 so I’m out of those scholarships

Come back after you’ve verified your arithmetic on which credits will transfer and we can help you. You seem to be confusing colleges policies on transfer credits (i.e. you taking an actual college course at an accredited institution) vs. a transcript of your self-study.

Right now, you’ve got an awful lot of double counting going on. And if you’re so confident in your self-studying skills- why go to college at all? Self study, spend a few thousand dollars at a coding academy, and call yourself done?

6 Likes

I have verified the arithmetic and most of the unis I apply to don’t have any restrictions on which classes can and can’t transfer. So as long as I chose the math courses and optics I’m set on that end

Lastly, I’m uninterested in learning how to code. My goal is to get a doctorates in Mathematics and get into Mathematical research. Most PHD programs don’t accept students who self-study so that’s not really an option

1 Like

Peace.

The issue is NOT “which classes can and can’t transfer”. The issue is HOW MANY.

But you do you. You came asking for help- but don’t want any- so good luck to you.

6 Likes

You know…not having income is not the same as gaming the FAFSA. She will still need to have the resources to pay your college costs anywhere where you have a net cost. It’s fine if your grands want to do that. But you need to have a plan for if something happens that makes that not a possibility (like they get I’ll and need the money…or they both die).

There are WAY too many assertions in that one reply. And for that reason “I’m out.”

1 Like

The major reason why I’m not particularly worried is because when it comes to DE credits most schools I’m applying to accept at least 1 years worth of DE credits. So as long as I make that 1 years worth of DE credits be 2nd year courses that means I start taking 3rd year courses inside uni.

Since I’m in my 3rd year starting off that means that I’m effectively a 3rd year student who has to finish GenEd requirements.

So as long as I’m able to transfer my 2nd year courses I’m chilling. The rest of the courses sucks if I had to throw them away but I got them all for free so it’s not a particularly big loss of anything besides my time

She is more than capable of getting the resources needed. Major reason why she isn’t is literally just because she wants to game college admissions. Since ma lives with my gramps and doesn’t really have to pay anything if she gets a full time job like she plans on doing so all of the money she makes (after taxes ofc) is disposable.

Regardless you are right I definitely don’t want to risk having the economy go into a recession while I’m in uni. I’ll look into some LaCs. Most of them so far haven’t been all that interesting for me but it is what it is

What you need to really check is if your colleges of choice will allow you to use DE courses from high school to satisfy degree requirements. My kid had DE courses…but her college would not simply use them. She got the credit, but to satisfy her degree requirements, she needed to take higher level courses in the same areas…so it didn’t help her graduate one minute earlier.

8 Likes

Oh damn I didn’t know that. Aite I’ll check my unis for that. So far I know for NYU and ASU I think they’re fine but I’ll look into other places.

Ik for Yonsei they’re fine and Oxford they already don’t accept transfer students so I know they don’t accept transfer credits. Rest of the ints I’ll double check. I think for a couple of them I have the option to apply as a transfer instead of a freshman so if it’s going to not transfer all that easily I’ll just apply as a transfer student or smth

Keep in mind that university financial aid (both need based and merit) is far less available and plentiful for transfers at many colleges.

2 Likes