Chance an extremely variable applicant with strange ECs. Also help find a better list of unis to apply to [CA resident, 3.42 GPA (3.76/4.03/4.52 for UC); math + ? major]

You may have a chance at a Cal State. Maybe.

1 Like

I’m on mobile I can’t delete posts and I just realized you responded to a different post than I thought you did

Indeed it is but most international unis afaik don’t provide aid to begin with and most of the unis I’m applying to I have a better chance making it into as a freshman than a transfer

The exception is UCLA where it might be more beneficial for me to spend another year inside my CC to finish honors requirements and then use TAP to get inside of it

I say this kindly… please take a beat and listen to what the extremely experienced posters here are trying to tell you. If you don’t agree, ask them the basis of their comments rather than counter with what you think you know.

You’ve made many statements in this thread that are inaccurate and you seem uninterested in advice that differs from your own “plan”. So please slow down and listen. Some advice may not work for you and your specific situation, but you’ll learn about options and opportunities that may be fantastic.

In particular it seems you’re close minded towards schools where you actually have a chance of a full need-based aid. I hope your mindset changes and you’ll allow posters here to get to know you better so they can help. If you have your sights set on a PhD, it is extremely important to have a solid undergrad with access to the academic resources and relationships needed to get an acceptance.

I do wish you well and look forward to following your journey.

9 Likes

One school you may want to look into is the College of Creative Studies at UCSB, as math is one of the 9 majors within it: About | UCSB College of Creative Studies. You would get a lot of the resources and attention of a small school while the full resources of UCSB are available.

If you only want to attend college for two years, then you will likely want to limit yourself to public colleges, as those are the ones that are likely to accept all (or nearly all) of your dual enrollment credits as well as your AP classes, or at least up to two years’ worth, AND to let those courses count toward distribution requirements.

I’d suggest coming back in the spring once you have your fall grades and you’ve had time to reflect on some of the comments that others have made.

3 Likes

You will have to file the FAFSA each year so if she gets a job with a higher salary, that will affect your aid for the year following.

9 Likes

Ah that I don’t know.

Oh well, 60k per year is definitely an increase but I don’t think tuition is going to go to such levels where money is tight but I’ll go ahead and go through tuition calculations on that salary basis.

@Gumbymom does he mean…TAG.

2 Likes

This really isn’t something to be proud of. At least not the way you word it. And I don’t think it will work out the way you think it will over your college career.

3 Likes

Well…sort of.

Any income from 2024 will be needed to be reported on the 2026-2027 FAFSA.

Any income earned in 2025 will need to be reported on the 2027-2028 FAFSA.

FAFSA uses prior prior year tax return information, not the previous year.

1 Like

I am fairly open to universities, my largest problem rn is that a lot of people are saying to just give up on all the classes I’m taking and I find that to be a really bad idea mostly because

1: my GPA as is is low, my #1 priority is to increase it as much as possible even if it comes at the cost of my ECs. No point in having good ECs if your application is thrown out after an AO reads a number after all lol

2: I’m getting these courses for free. I don’t really see any particular harm to expanding my knowledge base completely for free so might as well just do it

As I’ve mentioned, I am open to other unis I’m mostly looking for other unis to apply to. Issue is that there’s only really been 2 unis I’ve been advised to look into and all everyone else is saying is to reduce my college list or the number of DE courses which is not exactly something I think is in my best interests.

Some people have given me advice that I am genuinely looking into. But if all the advice that some people are giving me is “you don’t know which DE courses will work for you so don’t worry about taking that many/apply to that uni” I’m not listening to that. For me the pros greatly outweigh the cons and even if it’s revealed at the end of the day they don’t really outweigh them that much, the only major thing I’ve lost is time which sucks but is not the end of the world lol

1 Like

Ah good point @thumper1. I forgot about that.

I still don’t think any of this going to work out the way they think.

TAP, not TAG.

TAP is something UCLA offers to specific community colleges. Mine included. If you meet a bunch of requirements then you’re given “special preferences” in admissions which means like a 94% acceptance rate

TAG is something different and I think is available to all California Community Colleges and is between the CCs and a bunch of other universities.

3 Likes

Except if you weren’t taking the extra courses, your GPA possibly wouldn’t be as low because you could concentrate more on your high school courses.

3 Likes

I’ll see, I’m mostly confident things are going to work out because not much of what I’m researching is showing otherwise but I’ll start sending out emails later today for more information

I hope you understand that your financial situation likely will have zero to do with your admissions at most colleges. Most are need blind for admissions…so your mother’s ability to pay…or not…won’t have any impact on admissions.

BUT for the need aware schools…your actual ability to pay for college will be viewed by admissions…and very much could work against you in admissions. IOW if you require significant institutional aid to attend, a college could decide you just aren’t affordable to them. Or schools that don’t meet full need can give you something called an accept/reject. This means they might accept you but without any aid to help you attend.

1 Like

No it would be even lower.

I didn’t take any DE courses until Summer into Junior Year.

Old school didn’t offer DE courses for Freshmen and I didn’t know DE was an option here.

If I hadn’t done this my GPA would max out to like a 3.6. A good GPA but not as good as a 3.79.

This is true. Honestly I’m going to just cut out schools that aren’t need blind and prefer richer students since I wouldn’t qualify there. I think the only school that’s like that is NYU but they’re changing their admissions so that might change

Also I didn’t mean college admissions, mb, I meant college funding. We’re more than aware that this doesn’t actually improve any chances lol

You might want to read this about NYU. Tuition probably covered…it’s unclear how they will deal with need based aid for additional coats like room and board.

Yes I did hear about this and I’m honestly just waiting for more information on how this works. I think they’re covering tuition and classes but I think everything else is not covered so NYU is still going to be a not cheap option