Is it too late for Petroleum Entineering?

<p>I finally decided on a career path, after hours of talking with parents, and I think petroleum engineering is best suited for my interests. I reado somewhere thA a and m fills up fast for petroleum engineering. I was wondering I could still possibly apply and have a chance of getting accepted. </p>

<p>Quick stats
Grade senior
Rank 42/707
Sat 2060 act 30
All ap/pre ap classes</p>

<p>I actually just got my acceptance into petroleum engineering today and my stats are about where yours are except that my rank is lower. If you applied like right now and sent in your transcript right after you complete your app I feel like you’d be set. Hope this helps. I wouldn’t stress too much over it. Good luck!</p>

<p>How long do you think I have to apply? End of the month? I don’t want all of the spots to be filled up.</p>

<p>Also one other question- how difficult is it to be accepted in the Engineering Honors Program? I have a 1380 (cr+m) and am in the top 6% of my class. I read the that these are the requirements but am I automatically accepted or are some other factors involved?</p>

<p>I don’t think it is too late to get into Petroleum Engineering…select another engineering as a second choice and except for one class, you should be fine in either and can transfer into Petrol if that is how it works out (if you keep your grades up). </p>

<p>My son is a freshman in honors engineering…he received a letter early summer asking him to apply. He said the biggest advantage is being able to register early (not your first semester, but later). He is taking a couple of honors classes but isn’t sure if differ too much from the regular ones. My daughter in honors engineering says the same thing…the only advantage she has found has been early registration.<br>
I don’t know if it was grades or standardized test scores that got him into honors. He was barely top 10% but he had a perfect ACT in math, 35 comp and 5s on all of his math and science APs (so I suppose it was the math and science scores).<br>
He chose a&m over UT and is very happy! He likes all of his professors and loves the campus.<br>
Have a wonderful senior year…you’ll be in aggieland before you blink twice!</p>

<p>…my keyboard is sticking! My daughter is in honors engineering at UT…she says there have not been many honors classes offered and the only advantage for her has been early registration (a great thing first two years, but now that she is a senior…not very relevant)</p>

<p>Alright thanks for the reply. How long do you think I have until petroleum engineering fills up? Do you think if I send in everything by mid October I should be safe?</p>

<p>You should apply as soon as possible. Mid October may seem OK, but you are taking a risk if you want to major in PetE. Last year my S was accepted into that major around the 20th of October after applying around 10/3. A few weeks into Nov they were no longer accepting applicants into PetE. I don’t want to discourage you, actually the opposit…your stats make you an Auto Admit so apply ASAP, get accepted and then you can relax :)</p>

<p>Best wishes to you and all other Seniors going through this acceptance process!</p>

<p>FullMetal - since you’re an auto admit, your a&m app shouldn’t take you long to complete! Just dig in and finish it this weekend. If you’re applying to other universities…you can continue perfecting your essays, etc after you have sent this one off! (not saying that you shouldn’t prepare an excellent application…just weigh the time factor heavily since, as aggiemom said …you are in when it is complete…but won’t be into petrol engineering if not complete asap! Just advice from another aggie mom!</p>

<p>just got my essays done/ have submitted my apply texas app. also bought a priority mail label for official transcript and other documents. They should have everything by the end of the week hopefully. I really hope i get into petroleum engineering.</p>

<p>Fullmetal,</p>

<p>If you just now submitted your ApplyTexas application - you might wait to send the documents by mail until you get your ID number. There is a form that you should mail with them (at the very least) that will reduce the processing time. I suggest you contact admissions on Monday and ask for the best course of action - hold the documents for a few days, or go ahead and send them without an ID number.</p>

<p>@cromette
That’s what I plan on doing. I submitted my application wednesday night and someone on here said i should be receiving my UIN number in like three days so hopefully i should receive it on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. My mom will also get my meningitis shot record on monday and i will hand that to my counselor along with the priority mail envelope so she could send it on tuesday. </p>

<p>Also i chose Biology as my second major. At the time I started the application (about a month ago) I didn’t know what I wanted to be. Eventually I decide to become an Engineer and was too far along the process to go back and restart another application (lazy i know, but i was in a hurry, i didnt realize a&m had rolling admissions). Anyways as soon as i get my UIN i will try to change my second major to mechanical engineering.</p>

<p>Hello, sorry if I’m interrupting the conversation haha but I was wondering if you guys knew about Electrical Engineering… Does that fill up as quick as Petroleum Engineering?</p>

<p>Hey blanco !!! Im in EE too :slight_smile: heard it fills up slower than other engineerings but faster than other departments :)</p>

<p>Nice! Thanks! :)</p>

<p>Someone posted on another A & M thread that they recently Engineering is only 10% full currently - so take heart.</p>

<p>can anyone tell me how the job placement is like for petroleum engineering at TAMU? Im currently deciding between either UT or TAMU. Which one gives me a better chance of getting a job out of college?</p>

<p>You are not likely to get someone to recommend UT over A & M on an A & M board. :wink: They are both fantastic schools and greatly respected. Either one is likely to land you a job in petroleum engineering after graduation. What you need to do is visit both campuses and talk to the engineering department in both. Try to go when there is something cool going on on campus (football game, showcase weekend, etc.) so that you can get an idea as to the spirit or the vibe on campus. This is where you really might see some major differences between Austin and College Station, and between UT and A & M. You are the only one that can decide which is the best fit for you.</p>

<p>ditto what cromette said. Make appointments with the advisors at both universities and ask all of your questions. My S met one on one with dept advisors at both schools after he was admitted. I believe it was those important and unique meetings that helped him make his final decision. UT and a&m are quite different in cirricula in a couple of the engineering majors. The campus cultures are extremely different.</p>