3.26 WGPA
Test optional
3 AP classes, a few honors classes
Founder and President of my high school’s first Black Student Union
Officer of Social Handprints Overcoming Unjust Treatment Club
Part time job @ local pizza shop
Volunteer weekly mentoring children who are refugees
Competitive dance team
A few more extras that don’t take up quite as much time as those listed above.

LOR’s:
Guidance counselor + 2 teachers. I believe LOR’s mention founding the Black Student Union, but can’t be sure.

Essay: Confident about

Demonstrated interest: Visited campus, attended regional info meeting, attended virtual info session at my high school + several webinars.

I did apply for financial aid, NPC is affordable for my family if it is at least somewhat accurate.

I am so excited about the prospect of being a student at American but worried about GPA.

Oh! And hoping for CLEG major.

Sounds unrealistic but you are a first gen and URM.

Your ECs look solid.

You should apply for the Frederick Douglas.

Realistically I don’t see how you get in. But AU does account for both ethnicity and first gen.

Hate to say that’s why you would get in because that’s not fair to you and I don’t believe you will get in. But if you did that’s why.
Sorry to state it as such.

Good luck.

Unfortunately, they got rid of the Frederick Douglass scholarship this year.

Ooooh. Didn’t know. Thx for making me aware. Don’t think you’d get it but it was for diversity reasons. Who else is on your list ?

OP would barely be considered for FDSS since their GPA is so low. It was the most prestigious and competitive of all AU’s programs.

1 Like

I’d give you a 50/50 chance. You have lots of demonstrated interest and you’re first-gen. Your GPA is extremely low, especially since it’s weighted. A good test score could help, if you have it. Don’t count on any merit scholarships, though, since those are mainly based on GPA and test scores.

2 Likes

I agree they can’t get FDSS because I don’t think they’d get in. That said, if you’re a URM, you have a better chance so if you applied, then why not try? ED probably doesn’t help either (yes admission, no distinguished scholarship which they might use to attract a top student who might go to say Gtown otherwise).

It does appear to still be there - at least it’s on their admission portal.

Thanks for chatting with me. Yes, my unweighted GPA is 3.048.

It wasn’t on the list Special Programs Application list in my Future Eagle Account, so I called admissions directly and they said they won’t be offering it this year. The main webpage was down for a while but is now working again- I’ll keep an eye on it. :blush:

1 Like

They also can’t get FDDS because it no longer exists.

That’s what OP said.

It’s still on their website but perhaps they haven’t updated.

I was already accepted to a few EA- one of them being Temple University. That’s my current top pick after American, but I’m waiting to hear back from Howard, Drexel and Pitt.

6 Likes

FDDS was unofficially let go for monetary purposes. It takes a lot of money to give students a full ride for all 4 years.

1 Like

If those are your other choices, I would reconsider if you’re a good fit academically for AU. The schools that you listed (with the exception of Howard) are all safeties for most AU students.

I understand, but I felt it was smart to apply to a few safeties and targets in case I did not get accepted to AU.

10 Likes

I disagree.

While I don’t think OP will get in, I disagree with that statement. That’s why you have reaches, targets, and safeties.

If you were to say you want rural and you applied to Miss State,Wyoming and Montana so AU doesn’t fit, I’d say ok.

That it might be academically stronger - hmmm - that’s how you do it.

OP selected schools across the difficulty spectrum for themself. I don’t see issue there.

That’s like getting on my daughter who got in with merit but goes to College of Charleston. She also got into W&L - AU is a safety for those kids.

I agree with your previous note OP - spot on.

3 Likes

Congratulations on your acceptance to Temple! It’s so nice to have an acceptance already to a school you would like.

I think at this point, just wait and see. Your application is submitted to American, and you have done all you can do. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck with your other pending applications as well! You will land somewhere that works for you!!

9 Likes

My S20 was a URM with a similar GPA who applied to some of the same schools you listed here.

American (and FDDS): Deferred from EA. No for FDDS. No for Regular Decision. However we needed aid. I think the combination of your profile + being able to afford the amount on your NPC will give you a slight boost. Expect to be denied admission, but there is a very small chance. If you needed significant FinAid, I’d say there was no chance.

Howard: Not Admitted. it’s my understanding that Howard accepts very few students with GPAs in the low 3s. 78% of their freshman classes had a 3.5+GPA in high school. Only 7% were between 3.0-3.25, and we can assume many of those were athletes or otherwise hooked. How did the NPC work out for your family for Howard? HU does not have much $ for FinAid to students with less-than-perfect stats, and even if accepted they might gap you significantly.

Drexel: Admitted EA. Provided a lot of FinAid but remained outside our budget.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted on the decisions, and your final decision.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

Your child was deferred from Early Decision at American? They don’t offer EA.

Howard NPC is coming in higher, but I applied EA, and since that’s not binding I figured I would apply as another “reach.” :crossed_fingers:

Good to know about Drexel!

Since we seem to be interested in similar schools, may I ask where they ended up choosing? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like