Chance me for top summer programs! (SSP, Simons, BU RISE, Garcia, HSHSP)

Hi, I’m a junior who will be applying to several top summer research programs this year- specifically, SSP, Simons, BU RISE, Garcia, and HSHSP. I would appreciate if you guys could estimate my chances/what I could realistically expect.

Demographics

• Asian male
  • Mid-atlantic region; competitive state
  • Competitive magnet high school
  • Upper-middle class

Stats

• 3.98 UW/4.77 W GPA (school doesn’t rank)
  • 1590 SAT (800 EBRW, 790M)
  • 1490 PSAT (740 EBRW, 750M)

Coursework

• AP Calc BC (5, 5), AP CS A (5), AP Chinese (5), AP Gov (4), APUSH (4)
  • Taken Honors Biology, Honors Chemistry, Honors Physics, and Honors Earth/Space Science
  • Currently STEM courses are Linear Algebra, AP Stat, AP Physics C Mechanics, AP Physics C E&M, Analysis in Algorithms, Quantum Physics, and Research/Design

Awards

• 2x USAJMO Qualifier; JMO top 50 scorer
  • AMC 10 Perfect score + 12 on AIME last season; scored 144 on AMC 12 this season
  • USACO Gold Contestant (hoping to make Plat by January/Feburary)
  • USAPhO Semifinalist

Extracurriculars

• Currently doing an internship where I am conducting research on how climate change will impact human migration
  • Internship with visiting professor at my state school; developed software that analyzes satellite images for road ice, co-authored a paper presented at a national conference.
  • Attended Canada/USA Mathcamp
  • Captain of Math Team and Physics Team at my school
  • Head Coach of my middle school’s Math Team; 200 volunteer hours
  • Play varsity and club volleyball, and competitive chess (USCF ~1750)

You are in dude, seriously these are super strong in my opinion. But I am no expert. Did you apply for RSI?

You might also apply to YSPA (yspa.yale.edu) which is similar to SSP.

You stats are so strong. Did you get in the camps?

no I got rejected everywhere lmao

Shocking! What do you think could be the problem? Essays? Recommendations?

I suspect essays or rec letters too.

Will it be that you are overqualified?

they dont like elites. AOs are dumb.

writing about your research experience and accomplishments is boring for them. But someone who did not do research or excelled in non stem activities (because they suck at math) talk about his/her imagination and empty passion is interesting read :slight_smile:

1 Like

You say you were rejected everywhere… did Garcia already notify?

oh I didn’t apply to Garcia. I only ended up applying to SSP/Simons/Clark Scholars, since I thought that the prestige of BU Rise/Garcia/HSHSP didn’t justify the extra cost (compared to doing research at my local university)

lol i hope it’s not the recs since that means i’m screwed for actual college admissions

How do you know you got rejected from Clark?