Chance me for UC Schools?

Hello, I’m a rising senior at a private high school in California and I’m going to apply to 6 UC Schools (Berkeley, LA, Santa Barbara, Irvine, San Diego, and Davis). I feel like my chances are pretty good, but my freshman year grades were TERRIBLE. My counselor says that UC schools don’t look at freshman year grades, but some people say that they do look at them but just don’t use them for the UC GPA. I am also wondering if I have any shot at the regents scholarship for any of these schools.

My Stats
Rank: School doesn’t rank but I’m probably in the top 10%
UC GPA: 3.96 UW / 4.96 W / 4.27 Capped
SAT: 1550
ACT: N/A
SAT Subject Tests: Math II - 800, Chemistry - 790
AP Scores: Chemistry (5), Spanish Language and Culture (5), World History (3)
Senior Year Course Load: AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Calculus AB, AP English Literature, AP Macroeconomics, AP U.S. Government and Politics, Honors Theology 4, Anatomy and Physiology

Awards: AP Scholar, a bunch of awards for chess,

Extracurricular Activities:

• Competitive Chess: I’ve won a lot of prestigious tournaments and have participated in international competitions in different countries.
  • Chess Club President (9-11)
  • Spanish Club: Member (10), President (11)
  • California Scholarship Federation
  • National Honor Society (12)
  • Swimming (9-11)
  • Volunteered at a local library and taught at their chess club

Other Info:
I am Hispanic/Latino.
Income: 150k
I have a good reason for the bad grades I got in freshman year.
My intended major is probably going to be chemistry.

Freshman grades are considered by the UC’s to make sure you complete the a-g course requirements but they are not used for the UC GPA calculation.

UC’s also cannot use race/ethnicity in their admission decisions.

You have an excellent SAT score and very competitive UC GPA so all the UC’s are definitely possible. UCLA/UCB should always be considered Reach schools but you are a competitive applicant and should have many options come Spring. Make sure you have at least 2 safety schools on your list.

Best of luck.

you are a competitive applicant for all of them but, they get a lot of those so, be sure to apply broadly, perhaps include SDSU as a safety.

good luck.

If you want to stay in the UC system, UCSC, UCR should be safety schools for you. UCM will take you, even if you did not apply, if for whatever reason you are shut out of the other UC’s assuming you are in the top 9% CA high school kids.