Chance me for ucsb and uc davis psychology?

junior in high school
in state
northern california
4.07 W gpa (i know it’s on the lower side)
extra-curriculars: ASB treasurer, leadership, in a medical careers pathway at school, red cross club officer, soccer for 14 years, NHS, CSF
unfortunately father died of cancer when i was 13, thats the force behind the health care job. is this a bad angle to work? it sounds bad using the death of my father, but i know he would want me to use it to increase my chances of getting into school ;).
1200 SAT (getting it up)
what do you think?

I’m sure @Gumbymom will respond with a helpful chart that shows the ‘middle 50%’ stats for UCSB and UCD. On a subjective note, I would just add that UCSB does not admit by major for Psychological & Brain Sciences; they admit broadly under the College of Letters & Science for that major. Our daughter was admitted with lower stats under that banner this year to UCSB. Make sure your essays are good and that you have a strong courseload next year and you’re in good shape.

Please calculate your UC GPA: Post unweighted, capped weighted and fully weighted.

Intended major?

As @Flournoy_Parent stated UCSB does not admit by major into the College of Letters and Sciences. UCD admits by division within the College of Letters and Sciences.

UCSB specifically states that their application review is 50% academics and 50% subjective such as essays, EC’s, community service, awards, special talents etc…

Below is some 2018 statistical data for all UC’s which is based on the Capped weighted UC GPA and not major specific. In general you want to be at the average (50th percentile) or higher for the best chances but there always exceptions.

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 10%
UCLA: 9%
UCSD: 34%
UCSB: 38%
UCD: 41%
UCI: 38%
UCSC: 70%
UCR: 84%
UCM: 95%

2018 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.23
UCSD: 4.16
UCSB: 4.13
UCI: 4.13
UCD: 4.11
UCSC: 3.96
UCR: 3.81
UCM: 3.71

2018 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1360-1540

UCLA: 1340-1540
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1270-1500
UCD: 1220-1480
UCI: 1230-1490
UCSC: 1210-1450
UCR: 1130-1380
UCM: 1020-1280

Also here is what each campus will consider on their application review:

• DAVIS
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work

•   Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency, Work experience

•   Note: Scholastic achievement most important, followed by school and community activities, academic interests, special circumstances, special achievements and awards

Admission decisions are made based upon the qualifications of the applicant pool and the number of available spaces within each academic area:
    • College of Letters and Science admits by division within the college
    • (Humanities, Arts and Cultural Studies; Mathematics and Physical Sciences; Social Sciences)
  • SANTA BARBARA

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Considered: Character/personal qualities, Class rank, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, Level of applicant's interest, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Note: Eligibility established by high school GPA, course requirement, and SAT scores. Special consideration for disadvantaged students.
  • Freshman Selection: College of Letters and Sciences: Choice of major is not considered in selection to the College of Letters and Science.

Apply widely since the UC’s tend to be very unpredictable and focus on 2 likely (safety) schools that are you willing to attend as backups.