Please! Chance me for UCSC, UCSB, UC Davis

-Male from one of the top high schools in CA
-History Major

UC Weighted GPA = 3.65
UC Capped and Weighted = 3.58
SAT = 1480

I think I have excellent personal insight questions. One does speak to multiple sports injuries including a concussion which affected my grades.

I also have an excellent response for why I want to study history.

Sophomore and Junior AP Classes: APUSH, AP Euro, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC = 5s on all tests
AP Computer Science Principles = 3

Senior Year: AP Stats, AP Govt, AP Computer Science

ECs: Varsity Soccer (4 years), Club Soccer (2 years), JV Football (2 years), Track and Field (2 years)

For work I have a babysitting job and do manual labor (8 hours per week) and I have some volunteer experience.

Please chance me! I realize most UCs are a long shot, my top choice is UCSB. I am also applying to UC Riverside, some Cal States and also some out of state options.

Thank you!!!

SAT score is very competitive but UC’s tend to be GPA focused. Do you have some compelling reason why your SAT and GPA are mismatched?

Statistically, UCR and UCM are probably your best chances at the UC’s. UCSC could go either way. Although stats alone to do not tell the whole story about any applicant, if your personal insight essays are exceptional, then you do have an outside chance. Consider UCSB and UCD Reach schools and hopefully you have some Cal states as solid safety schools on your list.

Coming from a competitive HS will be taken into consideration.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79:

UCB: 1.8%
UCLA: 2.2%
UCSD: 7.2%
UCSB: 10.1%
UCI: 11.1%
UCD: 16.6%
UCSC: 43.8%
UCR: 63.3%
UCM: 88.7%

2018 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.23
UCSD: 4.16
UCSB: 4.13
UCI: 4.13
UCD: 4.11
UCSC: 3.96
UCR: 3.81
UCM: 3.71

2018 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1360-1540

UCLA: 1340-1540
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1270-1500
UCD: 1220-1480
UCI: 1230-1490
UCSC: 1210-1450
UCR: 1130-1380
UCM: 1020-1280

Best of luck.

“Do you have some compelling reason why your SAT and GPA are mismatched?”

My only compelling reason is I’ve had multiple sports injuries including a concussion and a broken nose which caused me to miss school and fall behind.

Also my high school is very academically challenging - it is ranked #47 out 2100 public high schools in California.

What would you say my chances are for UCSB?

If you look at the statistical data, UCSB is definitely a Reach school. Again, your overall application will be taken into account so if you addressed falling behind in school due to your injuries, then that will be taken into consideration.

With the average UC GPA for UCSB being 4.13 and not major specific, it will be a difficult admit regardless of major.

Your SAT and AP test scores do show you are a capable student, so all you can do is wait until March and hope for the best. As long as you would be happy attending any other schools on your list, then you will be going to college one way or another.