Chance me - HS class of 2017?

I am hoping to major in dance, but I was wondering what my academic chances were:

Female, OOS, mom has MEd, dad has JD and is in the Army.

All of my classes have been either accelerated or AP, except for one semester fr. year foreign language class, and jr year math class. My grades are all As or Bs, with the exception of my math class fr. and soph. year © and AP Physics jr. year ©.

UW GPA: 3.359
W GPA: 4.0556
ACT: 32 composite, 35 English, 28 Math, 33 Reading, 32 Science, 27 Writing

APs: European History (3), US History (5), English Lang (3), Physics 1 (2) and by the end of senior year I will have taken AB Calc, English Lit and Bio.

ECs:
4 year member of Orchesis Dance Company, and captain for two of those years + featured choreographer for three years,
4 year member of choir at school, and in the highest choir for jr. and sr. year
4 year (hopefully!) cast member of the spring musical
2 year member of the Advanced Dance gym class offered, had to drop it for sr. year because of a scheduling conflict
Corps de ballet at local studio for 8 years, in the highest level for Ballet, Pointe, Tap and Jazz (I’ve taken class there for 10+ years)
Assistant Teacher at the annual Summer Dance Camp at local studio
Training at the Joffrey Academy of Dance in Chicago for 2 years with consistently positive teacher reviews
Assistant Teacher at the Joffrey Academy of Dance
Member of National Honor Society
Worked at the same job all through senior year

Thank you!

Resident of Wisconsin?

OP is OOS.

You’ll want to check with the dance dept. to see how the audition is weighed relative to academic factors. BFA programs at a uni. can vary considerably on this issue. Some will assign the most weight to the audition and directly admit as long as your academics are in some “acceptable” range, while others might have a requirement that you need to meet the university’s overall standards first, then are considered for the particular BFA program.

Your ACT is fine for UW-Madison, the GPA might be a bit low in general but a lot depends on how they view that relative to your audition. A college visit asking about the academic requirements for that major will answer this for you.

Good luck!

Missed that you are a non-Wisconsin resident!

The GPA is on the low end. Can you explain it in the second essay?

I had similar stats OOS and I was accepted. I did also get a 4.0 UW GPA my senior year which after my first semester I sent in my grades (before it was required) to see if they would add it to my application, and they did. That being said, not too sure how it works when majoring in dance. Best of luck!

UW admits to the university as a whole, regardless of one’s intended major. Therefore I can’t see how any given major will give a student an admission over another more qualified student. Therefore it seems possible to be admitted to the dance program but not to the university. This is fair- another student with better qualifications would not get a place. And- students can easily change their majors once admitted.

Be sure your gpa has an upward trend. Students are expected to take the most rigorous courses available in general, and expected to do well in them.

“Admitted to the university as a whole” has changed somewhat. Applicants now need to indictate a second choice for major and may be admitted under that second choice if not admitted under their first choice.

[Quote]
Applicants will be asked to identify both a preferred and alternate major or field of study when completing the application for admission. If we are unable to offer you admission to your preferred major/field of study, your alternate choice will be considered in our application review to assess interest and preparation. Due to the competitive nature of some of our programs, admission expectations may be different for students pursuing majors in business, engineering, dance, and music.

But- all students are admitted to the university as a whole. This means students can change their minds later. The above seems to indicate having an idea of what you want to do looks better than being clueless. No gaming the system by picking a major that will get you admitted I presume. I think the final lines are telling prospective students that getting into UW does not guarantee getting the desired major. I sure hope undecided students don’t need to worry.

Don’t you start your major planning right away at SOAR? If you choose a bogus major that could mean extra time to graduation as well as expense, correct?

Perhaps. However many breadth requirements can be met with first year courses so it can still be a useful start even without knowing one’s eventual major.

Thank you all for your help! Sorry that I don’t know this, but what is SOAR?

Student Orientation and Registration. Or something like that.

Okay. Thanks!