CHANCE ME: International School, 2023 EA, Freshman, 4.21/4.00 UW, no ACT/SAT, China

Unweighted GPA: 4.21/4.00

did not submit SAT/ACT

AP Test Scores: Calculus BC (5), CSP (4), Physics 1 (4), Environmental Science (4), and will take CSA, Psychology, and Chemistry as a Senior

Level of Rigor for your coursework when compared to you HS peers (1-5):
4.5 (took Calculus BC instead of Linear Algebra)

Residency: International, China

Accomplishments/Awards/Recognitions:
school’s bilingual broadcasting club (Co-founder)
school’s Chorus Club (Sectional leader)
school’s FRC club(Group leader)

Other Awards/Recognitions:
school’s First Scholarship Prize (academic-oriented) in school (3-yr full tuition waiver)
school’s CS club(Member)
school’s botany research science club(Member)
school’s fencing club(Member)
some regional speaking/writing competitions’ awards and won a spot on an exchange program
Attended summer schools in CS major (Columbia Summer Immersion and another one in China)

School/College applying to: College of Engineering

no family connections

Intended Program/Major: Computer Engineering, Data Science

Quality of College Counselor Recommendation (1-10): not sure

Quality of Essays (based on feedback from teachers, trusted people who are either great writers or who have been admitted to a selective University) (1-10):
a solid 8 (based on feedback from my Literature teacher with Ph.D. in English Linguistics at CMU)

Thanks in advance for all your feedback!!

Don’t get me wrong, you’re an incredibly talented student from what you have provided. Sadly, from what I’ve seen, UMich shows a pretty heavy bias towards those with high test scores and those who live in Michigan. While I would say you have a chance, I wouldn’t count on getting in.

Your school will be able to give you better feedback than anybody on CC.

Waiting is hard, but there are better ways to handle the anxiety and impatience than trying to get reassurance from the internet!!

1 Like

Michigan announced EA decisions last evening. So you should have your answer already.

3 Likes