Chance me plz for UW-Madison

UW-Platteville is only $26k per year for non-residents and is known in Wisconsin for its engineering majors.

Since you are a US citizen, you could get a job on or near campus and earn about $8 per hour.

With your stats consider the caliber of other schools. Platteville is totally unlike Madison- it may not suit you.

Not sure how you can endorse UW-Plateville to an out of stater with a 4.0 and a 2100. OP should look at some private schools with strong engineering programs and look to get some good money from them.

Don’t question Madison85! He or she is infallible. Likely a Dairy God of some sort.

Wrong! Platteville is one of the lesser state schools for academic stats of its students compared to other state schools. Not in the same league as UW-Madison at all either.

OP cannot afford UW-Madison.

He may have to consider schools not in his league to find affordability.

OP - maybe look at The SD School of Mines, a good engineering school with a total cost of attendance of $23.4, less than $4K more than an in state student.

http://www.sdsmt.edu/News/Mines-Tops-the-List-of-Best-Public-Universities-for-ROI-in-Wall-Street-Journal/

Helpful article on above school

@Madison85: Thanks for the info on UW-Platteville, though I am still optimistic about UW-Madison… Went there for a summer program once, and fell in love with the place…Anyway I really want to go to a BIG 10 University…
@wis75: && @wayneandgarth : I also got admitted into Ohio State University( OSU Columbus), Kansas University(St. Lawrence) and Purdue(West Lafayette), for Electrical and Computer Engineering. OSU and KU even offered Honors Program. What are my chances of getting scholarships and how much, with my stats? Can I afford them? Remember I cant pay more than 25000-30000 k/yr …and that also after adding selling all our properties, and our accumulated savings.
@wayneandgarth: I had applied to SD School of Mines. But for some reason, the damned college rejected me, even though they did state 'Automatic Admission for students with SAT(CR+ Math) score of 1130, with 580 in Math…

EVERYONE: I know it is improbable but what will it take to be a Wisconsin resident. How long do I hav to stay there for being considered a resident.???

@Adwaya many of the Big 10 schools have very good engineering programs: Illinois, Michigan, Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Penn State, Minnesota, Maryland, & Ohio State are often ranked in the top 25. Of these, the only one whose OOS tuition & fees + room & board MIGHT be below $30K/yr is U of MN, which has the lowest OOS tuition in the Big 10 (might change in future). Nebraska is the second lowest. If you are able to get the average Merit-only based award, then Ohio State and Purdue could have tuition & fees + room & board under $30K per year. Many other Big 10 schools could be below $30K if you receive need-based aid. Note that this does not include many other costs such as books, travel, etc. @Madison85 is correct when he said Platteville is highly ranked in engineering among schools that do not offer doctorates (e.g., schools like Rose-Hulman). Private schools are more expensive on paper, but often have nicer financial aid packages (e.g., University of Chicago’s average need based financial award is over $40K per year). Bad thing is that you will not know if you can afford the school until you receive your aid package. Other options would be to look at smaller schools that might not be up to UW standards (e.g., Platteville, U of MN-Duluth, UMass- Dartmouth, etc), to look at your in-state flaghip, or to try to transfer into UW as a junior (I am not sure of chances)

https://registrar.wisc.edu/residence.htm

Your parents and you would need to live in Wisconsin, work, pay taxes, register to vote, etc., for at least 12 months before you start college.

Where do you live now?

You should try contacting SD School of Mines about your rejection. That sounds odd given your stats.

http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com

Did you look here?

@Madison85: No, I had looked it up in their official website… here it is …http://www.sdsmt.edu/Admissions/Apply/Admissions-Requirements/ … I am too pissed off at them to ask why they hadn’t accepted me. I didn’t bother as I had got offers from better colleges already…SD School of Mines was supposed to be my safety school, but obviously it didn’t work out…As for where I live, I am currently residing outside the US,(in Singapore) but I am a US Citizen. So u r saying that if my ma comes with me to Wisconsin and manage to get a job here and work for a year, I will be considered for in-state tuition for the rest of the three years???

@tbc1963: I cant at this moment try for any in-state public college, as I am not in the US right now, that is I am not a resident of any state at this moment. As for private college, I cant even think of it, as there is always the risk of the money…Neways I dont think my stats are good enough to attract those nice scholarship packages from Ivy leagues and other super elite private colleges…

I am not an expert on obtaining residency for instate tuition at UW-Madison. Did you study the link I gave you and the state statutes? What is your conclusion?

Is your mom a US citizen? What kind of job is she qualified for?

hmmm…ya I read it just now…no i dont think it will work as they stated…“Individuals who come to Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes do not automatically qualify as Wisconsin residents for tuition purposes, even after living in Wisconsin a year or more.”… Maybe I can take a drop year and get a job in Wisconsin…My mother holds degrees in Biotechnology…so she should be able to get temporary jobs in a Wisconsin University as post doctorate status. No she is officially not US citizen, though she has lived in US in the past and paid taxes as well…( in Arkansas, not Wisconsin)…

It seems it would be easier for you to pick a less expensive school than try to jump through all these hoops.

If you get a job and live in Wisconsin for a year - I doubt you could be self-supporting, and that may be a requirement for tuition residency (not just work a minimum wage job while your mom pays your rent in Wisconsin).

@Adwaya several things to consider. First, engineers who graduate from UW tend to make out financially in the long run, as seen at this link that calculated a ROI for ranked engineering schools (UW listed along with 6 or 7 other Big Ten schools)

http://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/top-25-ranked-engineering-programs-with-the-best-return-on-investment/

Second, UW has a coop program where you can work at least 24 weeks at a US firm making $20+ per hr. The experience also helps finding high paying jobs once you graduate.

The one school that I know of that is ranked in the top 50 in engineering and would be really close to your $30K per yr limit is Iowa State, which IMO isn’t as good as UW, but will be at least $4K per yr cheaper than U of MN, which in turn might be as much as $6K per yr (if not more) than UW. Tuition&fees + room&board is about $29K for ISU FOR OOS. Virginia Tech and NC State will probably have IIS costs similar to the U of MN. To get cheaper without some type of aid will require switching to smaller schools one if the UW branch campuses (not sure if UW uses that terminology though)