SAT: 1270 (cr&m) 1970 superscored
business major
3.96 unweighted, 4.36 weighted</p>

<p>Activities:
Cheerleading (captain)
Dance team
NHS
Summer internship at marketing firm
Business professionals of America member (BPA)
Spanish Honor Society
Volunteer work (50+hours)
Church youth group
Junior Class council chairman</p>

<p>So I'm from Illinois, and I don't understand the whole top 15%thing for Texas students. My school doesn't rank, even though I'm out of state, does that hurt my chances? Also, do you guys think there is any chance of me getting any kind of scholarship here, especially one of a 1000$ so I could get the out of state tuition waver? Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Also, the required classes for high school says that I need 4 years of science, however I will only have 3 and 1/2 by graduation. Does this severely hurt my chances or eliminate my chances, or is there some kind of out of state exemption or something?</p>

<p>Please anyone!? Ill chance back:)</p>

<p>Please!!!</p>

<p>You are SO close to being an academic admit. The auto admit for Texas residents is top 10%, not 15%. But anyone can be an academic admit if they are in the top 25% of their class and score 1300 on the sat with at least a 600 in each CR & M. Often someone with your gpa, from a school that doesn’t rank is assigned the top 25% value. Not sure about the whole required course thing. Is it possible to pick up any gaps at a local community college?</p>

<p>Ok thanks so much! Ill really try for that! And well I could fit in like astronomy or something for one semester, even though I have no interest in it, but I definitely don’t have room in my schedule to take an AP science course. Do you think I should just take it instead of a class I like just to be safe?</p>

<p>Yes, take Astronomy.</p>

<p>Our school also does not rank routinely. But they will compute a rank to send to schools which require them when asked by the student. You should see if your school will do this and find out in advance of sending approximately how you will be ranked. Do you think you are top 10%?</p>

<p>Ok yes ill talk to my guidance counseled tomorrow! Thanks, and are you sure that a class as simple as astronomy won’t look bad on my transcript? I just can’t take another AP next year. Also, say I don’t end up getting a 30, do you think I still have a chance of getting in or any merit aid/out of state waiver with a 29 ACT? I’m crossing my fingers for the 30 in June!</p>

<p>Astronomy is fine. It’s good to have 4 credits science for applying to many schools, even if not technically required. Not everything has to be AP and astronomy is not always such a simple class. Depends on how it’s taught. At one of our high schools you spend all your time computing flight trajectories for spaceships and such, can be pretty complicated math.</p>

<p>Yes, your half credit of science doesn’t have to be AP. Given your other classes, I don’t think it will be a big deal if it’s not AP at all. Just get the credit and boost your test score ever so slightly, and I think you’ll be an automatic academic admit. Even with just the required science, I think your chances are good. But I would really try for the higher test scores just to take some of the guessing out of it.</p>

<p>If your school does not rank, you are required to send in a “school profile” with grade distribution/graduation rates/socioeconomic status/etc and they will rank you based on that (ask your councilor for your school profile if you can’t find it on your school’s website). If you are estimated in the top quartile of your school (which I’m guessing you will) and meet the SAT requirements you qualify for auto admit.</p>

<p>That’s how it worked with me anyway. I am in California and my school does not rank but I still managed to qualify for auto admit. :slight_smile: Good luck!</p>

<p>Merit aid is not easy to land. D2 is a Texas resident with a 1410 SAT (CR&M), ranking in the top 5% of her class with mostly AP and dual, 4 years in band with leadership positions, volunteer work, and other good and cool stuff. She got $1500/yr renewable scholarship (depending on grades).</p>

<p>All you can do is try. Good luck.</p>

<p>Your ACT and SAT scores are so close to the academic auto-admit. The ACT is 30 with at least a 27 in Math and English. Take either test again and you may get the slight increase you need to be an auto.</p>