Chance me?

<p>first of all, let me just say, even though UM is my #1 top choice, I recognize that it is more on the "reach school" side of the spectrum for me. but still! I'd love to know your opinions. </p>

<p>I want to major in Marine Biology and minor in Psychology.</p>

<p>Applied early action
GPA(unweighted): 3.5
(my school doesn't do weighted GPA's)
My school also doesn't so rankings.
AP courses: AP Biology and AP Psychology
Been on honor roll every year in highschool
SAT: 510 math, 600 reading, 630 writing
French Honors Society
Yearbook Club
Work experience for 2 years at a local beach club
5 on the AP psych test, haven't taken the bio one yet
Put in add. info on app that shortly after my 18th birthday (Nov. 26, you can't do it until after your 18) i'd be volunteering with the marine mammal stranding center in my state, which now I currently am.</p>

<p>Do I have any chance? :/</p>

<p>I’m sorry, I really don’t think you have a chance unless you’re a URM.</p>

<p>Only 2-5% of incoming students had a math SAT at or below yours (and, quite frankly, they were probably almost all student-athletes), and 30% of incoming students had a critical reading score at or below your numbers. And your GPA falls in the lower 30%.</p>

<p>At the same time, your GPA is unweighted, and they’ll look favorably on your AP exam score of 5.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you, and I’m sorry I couldn’t give you a happier answer.</p>

<p>Have to agree with rankinr on the application being a tough one for an admit. The strength of schedule is light and the test scores. The U has moved up in the rankings and with that so has the selectivity. It appears that you recognize this as you indicate that it is a reach and I would unfortunately concur. Certainly wish you luck, but make sure you have sufficient backup plans in place.</p>

<p>UM is getting much more selective because they are trying to continue to move up their ranking. An admission officer told me that the average ACT is a 30-31 so you are at a disadvantage in the low 25% of admission.
So yes you still have a chance but it is not likely. You don’t have anything that really stands out about you except for your work experience.
Do you have a legacy? Because that would help a ton.</p>

<p>I wish you the best! And if you receive an answer please let me know because I applied EA too and am anxious to know when they will start sending out decisions!</p>

<p>I’m planning on the same major/minor!! I hope you get in!</p>