Chance me?

<p>Current high school junior, hoping to get into Miami next year as a high match school or a reach school, hoping someone who was recently accepted can tell me what they think</p>

<p>Junior in a class of 323, public high school in North Carolina
ranked 9/323 (top 3%)
UW GPA: 3.88, W GPA: 4.67
SAT: 1570, 1250 w/o writing, ACT 23 composite (I know, they're low, those are my first time scores, I intend on retaking the SAT twice, probably won't retake the ACT)
1 "B" in 5 semesters of high school, all A's otherwise
Completed 3 AP classes, currently enrolled in 1 - passed APUS Gov w/ a 4</p>

<h2>Senior schedule to include 2 years of German, and 3 or 4 more AP classes</h2>

<p>Extracurricular:
I work a job at a grocery store about 20 hours a week (time consuming!)
I am a member of our schools soccer team for all of my 3 years, first two on JV, varsity this past year
JV Captain of soccer sophomore year
National Science Honors society member
Student advisory committee member
(probably) National Honors Society member
Volunteer experience this past summer working at soccer camps ~ 40 hours total</p>

<p>What do you guys think? Assuming I can get my SAT's up do I have a decent shot?</p>

<p>great fit for UM, except for the SAT.
schools in florida normally go out of 1600, not 2400.</p>

<p>Agree with 305home, as long as you can get your SAT and ACT up you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>Alright, thanks guys. As it stands right now I’d be scraping the bottom of the barrel SAT wise, but I’m above average GPA wise according to the website.</p>

<p>You UW GPA isn’t high enough to outweigh your low test scores, so you definitely need to get those up. You will likely get in.</p>

<p>I got in with a substantial scholarship with a WAY lower GPA than you (I’m talking ~3.7 UW) but my SAT was a 2300 and I had great EC’s and rec</p>

<p>I got in with a substantial scholarship with a WAY lower GPA than you (I’m talking ~3.7 WEIGHTED**) but my SAT was a 2300 and I had great EC’s and rec’s. So based off of solely my personal experience, I would say that it’s a possibility that UM takes SAT very seriously. Not sure. If you get that up 2000+ though I’d say you’re in for sure.</p>

<p>Agree with others here. Your GPA is fine and your class rank is excellent. I’d focus on the SAT as you said and shoot for at least 1300-1350 for Math and Reading - ignore the writing score for UM. Take the most difficult schedule you can in senior year - rigor of your schedule matters to admissions (in my opinion) and if you can swing a visit to campus that helps to show serious interest - meet with admissions, finaid, profs in the school/dept you are shooting for.</p>

<p>Unless you really need min wage @ 20 hours, lose the grocery store job and use that time to volunteer for something that is meaningful to you and to your future career/profession. And spend some of it studying harder for the SAT!!</p>

<p>By all means apply EA, not ED and not RD.
These are all just my opinions!
~Zinc</p>

<p>@ Zinc I do need the job for money, so I need to keep it. Im intending on doing ED since its really 50/50 for me between Miami and Penn state since Penn State doesn’t have ED/EA. I wish I could get a visit down there, but its too far for us and the parents can’t get enough time off work for that. </p>

<p>and @ arc I think the best I’m going to be able to do on the SAT is 1700-1800 combined, I don’t do standardized tests, but I’m an excellent student as the transcript would tell you. Hoping with a 1700-1800 (or something like a 1200-1300) range and a great GPA/class rank it would be enough</p>

<p>ED is risky…look up the stats on the students that have gotten in ED. Determine if that is your best path. EA is a better bet to show your interest and try for scholarships.</p>

<p>I got into UM early action with a sat without writing 1180 yeah not great. With writing 1850. And my weighted was 4.65 uw 4.0. I didn’t get offered any scholarship though, so i think u have a good chance of being accepted but raise the sat score a lot if u are depending on that possible free money.</p>

<p>I meant, EA, oops. If I had to chose between Miami and PSU, It’d be PSu probably, so ED wouldn’t be what I want</p>