Chances at Harpur?

I plan on majoring in Psychology while also taking pre-med requisites. My SAT is a 1220/1600. GPA is 96.44 (My school is weird and gives it to me in this way). Took a few dual credit classes, and 1 AP class (They only offer 2 in my school). I have volunteered in a doctor’s office, I am a volunteer EMT, I worked at both CVS and Wendys during the course of high school, and I tutored kids at a local library. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :slight_smile:

@Tehblino

According to Bing’s website, the average SAT is a 1360. So, your SAT score falls below average. However, Harpur is the most leniant of the schools, so they may take you despite the low score. Good news is that your GPA is within range, though (My school actually does GPA this way, too, it is weird when most schools do it in on a 0-4 scale. But in my opinion, the 0-100 scale seems more precise, since I think the numbers in the 0-4 scale can cover a range of different letter grades). My school offers a lot of AP but I think I went overboard with it by taking 5 this year, which was so dumb of me to do when I’m terrible at time management. Which two AP courses do they offer at your school?

@stechin
They offer only AP US History, and AP Statistics. I took AP US History. I also took two dual credit classes in Psychology 101, and Speech Communications.
Realistically, do you think I have a good shot at getting in? This is like my top school.

@stechin

I was curious. Since you want business, did you apply to Albany? I know it is not as prestigious as Bing, but they do have an excellent business program. Especially in accounting. My son applied there but has not heard back yet. Albany has alot of top firms coming up to recruit. Again, I am not saying it is as prestigious as Bing, but with regards to accounting, they are a close second to Bing.

@Tehblino

To be honest, I feel like you’d most likely get deferred (if you did EA.) I admit I’m not the most accurate source since I’m no college admissions officer, but if you look at the 2021 thread, many people that had a score in the 1200 range were deferred when they applied EA. I typically use Naviance when I want to know what my chances are of admissions at a particular college. It gives a graph with the x axis being SAT score and the y axis GPA and even contains data points with what rejected and/or accepted students from your school’s stats were. Looking at Naviance, kids from my school with your stats were either deferred or accepted. Like I said earlier, my word isn’t absolute so I honestly don’t know your chances of getting in. I’m just making a guess based on statistics and what peope have claimed on this site.

@euve69

Yes, I applied to Albany for Business Administration. I hear their Business School is up there for the SUNYs, although Im not sure if I would go there if I were accepted. They are good for accounting but I don’t know if that automatically means they’re good for establishing internships/jobs for Business administraion majors. In addition, I kind of admit that I’m a bit put off by the rumor that they are a party school (I know every college has its fair share of parties but I personally don’t feel comfortable if a school is reputable based on its party life. I’m a studious person who chills by eating out, watching a movie, or reading a book so people with a party-environment mentality would make me feel really uncomfortable.) I honestly feel ridiculous judging a college by such a minor factor but I guess people have different preferences and priorities. Getting back on topic, I would say that Albany is probably second to Bing. Though, the one thing that both Bing and Albany suffer from are lack of strategic locations. I think Bing is in a middle-of-no-where town that may or may not be economically depressed while Albany, NY’s capital, isn’t all that renowned for business. Nevertheless, both schools are great for establishing connections for jobs and have a decent reputation to drive them forward.

@Tehblino

Did you get accepted into Binghamton?