Chances at the UCs?

Overall UC GPA is 3.17

My freshman GPA was 2.6
My sophomore year UC GPA is 2.75 (1 AP/Honors)
My junior year UC GPA is 3.58 (3 AP/Honors)

SAT: 1480 (800 Math, 680 Reading & Writing)

Major: General Psychology

I had a hard time dealing with somewhat abusive parents and it was hard for me to focus on school (I got better at being able to efficiently work throughout the years even with them). I talked about this in the extra comments section of the application. I took 5 AP/Honors classes senior year to show that I am pushing myself and not slacking around.

I don’t think I’ll be able to get into any of the Tier 1 or Tier 2 UCs but I’m hoping I’ll get into at least UCSC.

I go to a school in SoCal (if that helps) so I’m an in-state student.

UC’s only use 10-11th grades in their GPA calculation so here is the calculator to help.

You get extra honors points for any UC approved Honors/AP/IB or DE courses taken in 10-11th with a cap of 8 semesters (capped weighted) or unlimited (fully weighted).

So plug in your grades and see where you stand: https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

UC’s are very GPA focused so your grades Sophomore year will hurt, but you are showing a positive grade trend which will help.

Your test scores are a plus which shows you are a capable student.

Here are some admit rates based on UC GPA (capped weighted) that are not major specific so that gives you an idea of some target UC’s.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.00-3.39

UCB/UCLA/UCSD: 1%
UCI/UCSB: 2%
UCD: 4%
UCSC: 18%
UCR: 38%
UCM: 67%

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79:

UCB: 2%
UCLA: 3%
UCSD: 6%
UCD: 15%
UCSB: 14%
UCI: 13%
UCSC: 59%
UCR: 78%
UCM: 92%

Best of luck and all will give you a very good education. I would also look at some of the competitive Cal states such as San Diego State, CSU Fullerton, San Jose State and CSU Long Beach.

really unlikely for all the UCa. Most of the CSUs would be happy to have you

apply broadly

very low at UC’s, best chance at CSU’s