Chances at VT Engineering ?

<p>Just starting to get nervous on the strength of my app after reading through some of these threads.</p>

<p>GPA(Weighted)
Junior year (the one on my transcript): 4.227
Senior year (my 7 classes now): 4.5
Class Rank: 25/660</p>

<p>Classes
AP's: AP World, AP English 11, AP Computer Science A, AP Us History, AP Calc AB (all 4's, except on Calculus). 2 AP's this year, AP Statistics and AP English 12
Dual-enrolled: 4 Dual Enrolled classes from NOVA Community College (Networking I/II, Web Tech, Database, Networking III/IV) - 4.0 GPA from the community college
Other: School was a magnet school for IT, and I have taken 11 of the offered courses and received a few certifications in the process (does this matter?) </p>

<p>SAT(Math/Reading/Writing/Total)
660/670/690/2020</p>

<p>EC's
Nothing too big here. Football freshman year, Wrestling JV Sophomore and Junior years, and FTC robotic team this year. Only about ~50hrs Community service from Key Club</p>

<p>Other info
Race: White

<p>Any thoughts? I know I've read some people saying it is much harder for NoVA students to get into tech, and now I'm starting to panic a bit. Engineering was my first major choice, and Business IT was my alternate.</p>

<p>I also saw some people mentioning earlier about being accepted in mid Feb if they were eligible for honors (the 18th or 19th). How do I know if I was eligible for honors? I was offered the honors app, but never filled it out. Any chance I may find out earlier than April first so I can stop worrying so much?</p>

<p>The whole application process I figured I was a shoo in for tech, but now I'm starting to have my doubts. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Don’t panic. You have a very strong application and you can handle the workload at Virginia Tech. The only question that I see is whether you will be accepted to Engineering. The College of Engineering will be particularly interested in your demonstrated ability to handle math. You didn’t list your Calc AB score so I’m guessing it was poor? The SAT 660 meets the minimum accepted SAT score but I’d guess they will look closely at all of your math grades to make their decision. </p>

<p>On the bright side, I’d be shocked if you were not admitted to Pamplin. Your high grades, consistent SAT scores, and extracurriculars make you a well rounded candidate for a business degree. The business information/accounting degrees from Pamplin are very good and long-term employment opportunities are at least as good as Engineering.</p>

<p>Yes, you were eligible for Honors and should have filled out the honors app when it was offered to you. The waiting process is unsettling but I don’t think you need to worry. I assume you applied to other universities just in case?</p>

<p>That’s a pretty impressive resume. You may want to consider Business IT regardless. I majored in CS at JMU, but when I went to work for the large contractors in NOVA, it was all Computer Information Systems work and I enjoyed it more, building out networks - physically, selecting database products, lots of systems administration, etc. The business angle was ever present. How does the USG/DOD buy computer services. I had to learn it all at work. I never used my 3 semesters of Calculus and 3 semesters of Physics. If you get one of the top level IT certifications and a top secret security clearance, you are golden. Then maybe an MBA and that CISSP cert. Just one opinion.</p>

<p>csstudent95 – congrats on your achievements. You have a pretty good chance of being accepted to engineering. </p>

<p>If your school provides online access to Naviance family connection, it may provide another perspective on how your GPA/SAT scores compare with those of other students who applied to VT. Note that it’s just another data point. Pros: Stats specific to your school in NoVa. Limitation: All majors combined.</p>