Chances for CC

<p>I really want to go to Colorado College and i am planning on doing early admission.
I Have a 3.7 gpa at one of the top 100 public schools in america, and i take several AP's.
I will have good reccomendations and a good essay.
I have a stronger passion for animals and i am volunteering in Puerto Rico this summer to do research on the Coqui frog.
I am captain of the soccer team and cross country team.
However, i am worried about my rank. My school is uber competitive with the top 25% all having above a 4. I might be at the bottom of the top 50%
Do i have a chance?</p>

<p>You definitely have a chance, and depending on how much FA you need, you may have a very good chance. What are your SAT's? And if you are sure you want CC, why not apply ED? That helps, too.</p>

<p>You sound like a good candidate to me, too.</p>

<p>Ordinarily, 3.7 is a very respectable GPA (though you might not know it from reading some of the posts on College Confidential). I'm a little surprised it does not result in a higher class rank than what you've reported. Is it possible that you over-estimate the number of straight-A students at your school, and under-estimate your own rank? If not, maybe the grades are a little inflated at your school. Or, maybe your classmates really are an unusually capable, or competitive, bunch.</p>

<p>This is why colleges need to assess your grades in light of other information, including your test scores, recommendations, and facts about your school (which your Guidance Counselor should be able to provide). Especially if it turns out that your school sends many students to top colleges, their test scores run high, and your own scores are within the CC median range, I bet the decision won't hinge on your GPA. They are not going to reject you only because you're a few B's short of perfect grades. So relax about that, and have fun with your Coqui frogs. </p>

<p>CC, by the way, seems to have very strong programs in Bio and Environmental Science. The location is excellent because there are so many climate and habitat zones in the area. Take the cog train up Pikes Peak on a warm day; you'll be in shorts at the bottom and wanting a winter parka at the top.</p>

<p>Also, the block plan lends itself to those subjects because the one-course schedule allows for extended field work. Get familiar with how to make it work for you, in light of your interests. This might give you some ideas for your essays or interview.</p>

<p>I am taking a guess that you are a female. I notice that you are the captain of your cross country team. I suggest that you consider contacting the cross country coaches using the recruitment link on the Colorado College website. Colorado</a> College Athletics - Colorado College Cross Country Recruiting Form</p>

<p>I believe that if the coaches are interested in you, it HELPS in the admission process. It is not a commitment to go out for the sport.</p>

<p>Oh, I think there maybe a recruitment link for soccer too , but I'd contact the coach in the sport you are strongest in.</p>

<p>Soccer definitely recruits.</p>

<p>Even if you don't get recruited, trying out for varsity can be a good experience. You go to school early, your team and probably another one go on a 4 night camping & service trip, and then you have tryouts. My son did this. By the end, he didn't even want to be on varsity because of the level of commitment necessary, but the try-out experience provided him with friends and a nice segue into college life.</p>

<p>My DS is a freshman at CC. He decided junior it was his #1 choice and applied ED. His stats: GPA 3.8 uw 4.0 w, rank 26/140 at a very competitive high school. SAT's 1250/1800. 4 AP courses 2 with 5's, 2 with 4's. What impressed the adcom who interviewed him: his proficiency in Spanish (they did the interview in Spanish), his worldliness-he had traveled all over the world doing community service with friends, not a structured program. He also kept in touch with his interviewer during the process so she remembered him (they actually trades spanish music etc). He expressed his desire to attend CC in the interview. They loved his essays, which he spent 6 weeks writing. My recommendation: go for an interview, visit as often as you can (he went 3 times before applying), and express your desire!! They stressed to him that his curriculum and extras were much more important than his SAT's. Good luck--he LOVES it there and loves the block plan.</p>

<p>O'h I forgot one thing-he also ran XC and his interviewer had him meet the coach. The coach had already recruited his new class, but told him he'd love to have him run. They kept in touch all summer. I definitely thinks this helps. Note that XC is D3 at CC so they will consider you and soccer is D1 and they recruit for that.</p>

<p>Soccer is D3, at least for boys. They recruit, but there are no scholarships. I believe anyone can try out.</p>

<p>I think that only hockey is D1.</p>

<p>I think that expression of interest plus showing you have a good understanding of the block plan and CC culture is important. A visit and interview are the best way of showing that, plus block plan and "Why CC" essays that show your enthusiasm and understanding of the school</p>

<p>Girls soccer at CC is D1. We watch a game at Parents Weekend, they were pretty good (my D is a 15 yo soccer player and wanted to see what a D1 team looked like).</p>

<p>I may have used the wrong word when I said "recruit." What I am suggesting is that the prospective student who has had some success in any where CC fields a team contact the coach through the CC website. Who knows, it might assist in the admission process.</p>

<p>I agree 07dad! Especially the D3 schools and sports. The adcom at CC really stressed to S to contact coach, that it really helps. Also, my D is a senior now and a top golfer in our state. She has been contacted by many coaches to play at D3 schools she would not normally get in (and they basically tell her they will get her in). Luckily, she doesn't want to go to a school where her credentials would be lower than most, but it goes to prove the point that it does help in the admission process to show interest in your sport.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your input!
You make this college search just a little less scary :) (especially after looking at everyones chances on college confidential)
and to "Canadianmom" i have a 194 on psats, and im waiting back for the sat results <em>crosses fingers</em> should that be okay if i keep my sats around there?</p>

<p>Good luck on your SATs. Fraid I don't remember how the PSATs correlate. Keep in touch; we are good at hand-holding!</p>

<p>I don't know if CC has ED, but it has EA, so you might want to use that. I got in with that program, and found out the day before Christmas! Good luck!</p>

<p>My son was accepted ED. For anyone who is sure they want CC, it is an advantage to apply ED. However, if FA is critical, ED is not a good plan.</p>

<p>If you are considering Colorado College I would strongly discourage it. I am a current student, and I am very unhappy there. Unless you are comfortable having final exams every month, and living with people that are intolerant, you should NOT attend Colorado College.</p>

<p>My S was accepted EA for 2008 and received notice in Dec. of his senior year in HS
(2007). EA is a great way to apply.</p>

<p>He has absolutely loved the block system. I observed that when S came home his freshman year his friends in the non-block colleges were all discussing "finals" in 4 to 6 courses (along with semester projects that came due at the same time as finals) and were stressed about them while on the Thanksgiving break. That was surely my memory from when I was in a traditional college.</p>

<p>He has made lots of friends, gone on block breaks with various different friends to do a variety of different events and has made connections with many of his professors in both his double majors.</p>

<p>I suggest that anyone interested in CC visit. </p>

<p>Anyone interested in CC can check out the common datasets on the Colorado College website. The retention and graduation rates indicate that the vast majority of students who start CC return each year and graduate.</p>

<p>My S is also a freshman at CC and loves it there. Every potential student should visit
and see if it is a good fit for them. Although I was initially worried about the block plan, my S loves the one class at a time approach. But it is not for everyone. In repsonse to Alberto, I can only say that my S came from a large VERY economically and socially diverse high school and he wanted a diverse college. Although he would agree that CC is not as diverse as some schools he would describe the student body as laidback, friendly, openminded and very welcoming. Alberto, unfortunately there are intolerant and closed mind people everywhere. I am sorry you are unhappy but not everyone shares your experience and each prospective student should visit and decide for themselves.</p>

<p>I am a soph at CC and can tell you it is not diverse. That being said, I love this student body and know for me it is the perfect fit....CC offers a great opportunity for HS students to take a summer block class for regular college credit. I did it before applying to amke sure I like the block program and the area..plus I got to know a bunch of folks on campus....when admissions read my application, admin officer said she thought I already wen there..bottom line..do as much investigating as you can to make sure it is your top choise...fit is very important...I could have gotten into more selective LAC's but there was nowhere I fit beter than CC..good luck.</p>

<p>if you want to play a sport, and are at the level required to play at CC definately contact the coach, and try to get recruited. D3 schools (and non-scholarship d-1/2 schools: ie-ivies) dont have scholarships, so their biggest draw they have for prospective students is helping with admissions. although, at more competitive schools (bascially CC and up) coaches only have a few slots... i personally applied to hamilton and middlebury, both of which i was denied acceptance to. i know for a fact (i guess more accurately the coaches said "with your grades and scores admissions says that you have a VERY VERY VERY good chance of being accepted if you have lacrosse support") that had i committed to play lacrosse at either school i would have been accepted.</p>