Chances for Singer/Stamps?

<p>I recently visited UMiami and loved it! However, my parents won't be able to afford it for me. So, I really need one of the full scholarships!!!</p>

<p>Objective</p>

<ul>
<li>SAT: 2270 (740 M 800 CR 730 W)</li>
<li>SAT II: Bio 760 Math II 740, will take Math I and Lit in the fall</li>
<li>GPA: 4.1/4.3 unweighted, where 4.0 is an A and 4.33 is an A+. School doesn't weight</li>
<li>Rank: school doesn't rank</li>
<li>APs: AP Bio (5), AP Gov't (5). APs aren't offered until junior year.</li>
<li>Senior Year Course Load: AP Calc, AP Physics, AP Chem, AP Spanish</li>
<li>High School Course Load: I've taken all the honors available at my school and the hardest schedule possible.</li>
<li>PSAT: 217 (Should probably be semifinalist)</li>
</ul>

<p>Extracurriculars</p>

<ul>
<li>Varsity Soccer 4 yrs</li>
<li>Basketball 2 yrs</li>
<li>Basketball manager 2 yrs</li>
<li>Lacrosse 2 yrs</li>
<li>Interact Club (secretary) 2 yrs</li>
<li>Science Club 2 yrs</li>
<li>NHS 2 yrs</li>
</ul>

<p>Job/Work Experience</p>

<ul>
<li>paid intern at local land conservation trust for research on terrapin population</li>
<li>youth soccer referee 6 yrs</li>
<li>babysitting</li>
</ul>

<p>Volunteer/Community Service</p>

<ul>
<li>over 200 hours including: mission trip to maine, volunteering at a hospital, coaching a youth basketball team, volunteering at a nursing home, tutoring, various projects with interact club, and others</li>
</ul>

<p>Summer Activities</p>

<ul>
<li>internship</li>
<li>soccer games</li>
<li>soccer practice</li>
<li>mission trip</li>
<li>basketball team summer league</li>
<li>volunteer work</li>
</ul>

<p>Other Factors</p>

<ul>
<li>State: RI</li>
<li>School Type: Public, best in state, sends at least 8 to ivies each year, and more to top schools</li>
<li>Ethnicity: white</li>
<li>Gender: Female</li>
<li>Intended major: Biology</li>
<li>I should probably qualify for national merit semifinalist according to the past results in my state</li>
</ul>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1184699-full-tuition-stamps-scholarship.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1184699-full-tuition-stamps-scholarship.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Plese realize that this is all just crystal ball stuff. So much depends on the group of people applying to UM for Fall 2012 admission. Your stats look better than those that Stevenf shared and if there a lot of folks applying with that kind of resume it will be very competitive - if not, you have a very good shot at either Singer or Stamps. Either way, yours are some of the best stats I’ve ever seen posted on this board! </p>

<p>Depending on your parents income, you may be eligible for some hefty need based aid. So even if you don’t get either Singer or Stamps, UM could still be affordable. Remember that the university has several non-need based grants that they award in various amounts - if they really want you and you haven’t been awarded other funds.</p>

<p>Make sure admissions knows you are serious. You MUST visit the school during the school year and make sure admissions knows you are there - check in with them, make an appointment to meet with a financial advisor or an admissions advisor as well as a professor in the Biology dept. If UM comes anywhere near where you live for admissions interviews - make a point of going. Sincere interest means a LOT.</p>

<p>Remember to apply for some of the bigger scholarships - with your credentials, you may just nab $5k, $10k or more in one of the nationals - I work for AXA Equitable Insurance - they offer a very nice scholarship annually. Ask your guidance counselor to share information s/he gets about scholarships - they always have information that is harder to come by on your own.</p>

<p>Lastly - apply EARLY ACTION. More Singer/Stamps are awarded to EA appliers than those in regular decision - according to what they told us on S/S weekend.</p>

<p>Good luck and keep us posted…
~Zinc</p>

<p>Thank you so much!! That is great advice! When the visit my school in the fall I will be sure to attend!</p>