Chances for UW-Madison?

<p>Unweighted GPA: 3.9
Weighted GPA: 4.0
ACT: 27 (Pretty high in Reading/Writing/English protion with a 32 composite score, a little above average in everything else.) Writing: 10 out of 12
Class Rank: 14 out of 548</p>

<hr>

<p>I have taken nine AP/Accelerated Honors classes in high school. (Three years of Accelerated Honors English, AP U.S. History, AP Psychology, AP Biology, AP Government, AP English, Honors Jazz/Small Ensemble.)
AP exam scores so far through junior year: 5 on U.S. History, 5 on Psychology</p>

<hr>

<p>Extra-Curricular Activities:
Marching Band-Four years of participation, thirty plus hours per week for a semester (Practices, competitions, pep band, etc.). I am also a section leader for the saxophone section (Organize section practices, events, etc.).</p>

<p>Jazz Band-Four years of voluntary participation, three to five hours per week for both semesters.</p>

<p>Volunteer at the local conuty park's nature center as an educator-Two and a half years of participation, roughly five to six hours per week.</p>

<hr>

<p>I consider myself to be a fairly strong writer, so I'm not worried about my essays. I am also an in-state resident and have two letters of recommendation, if any of these things matter.</p>

<p>Finally, based on all of the info here, what are my chances? Mediocre? Good? Any advice is helpful. Thanks!</p>

<p>Worth applying. Do essays that show your interest to increase your chances.</p>

<p>Probably wouldn’t hurt to retake the ACT too, try to hit 30 at least. That looks to be about the only chink in your armor at this point. Add to this the fact that applications will be up for in-state and OOS, competition will no doubt be fierce & you don’t want to be one of those on the fence.</p>

<p>He doesn’t need a 30 with those grades and class rank. In fact, I’d say he’s in even if he doesn’t raise the ACT score at all. Good luck.</p>

<p>a good essay and your in!!!</p>

<p>Yes, retake ACT for sure.</p>