Chances for UW?

From NH
Weighted GPA: 3.81 (3.55, 3.95, 3.94)
Unweighted GPA: 3.65 (3.52, 3.81, 3.62)
Took all CPs Freshman year, Honors Biology and Honors Algebra II Sophomore Year, and Honors World Literature (0.5 credit), Honors Precalculus, Honors British Literature (0.5 credit), Honors Chemistry, AP Biology, and AP US Government (Online) Junior year
ACT: 30 Composite (33 Math, 25 Reading, 30 English, and 30 Science); It was my first try and I am not retaking again.
AP Scores: AP Biology - 3, AP US Gov - 3
Major: Biomedical Engineering
Senior Year Schedule: AP Calculus AB, AP Physics I, AP Psychology, AP Biology Internship, Honors Choir, and Honors English IV
In terms of a foreign language, I went up to French III and was originally in French IV, but dropped past the deadline to take Choir (Was too late for Honors).
ECs:
Varsity Tennis (9,12)
JV Tennis (11; It got super competitive and none 10th grade)
Debate Team (11,12)
Math Club (11,12)
Marine Biology Club (11,12)
Science National Honors Society (11,12)
Mu Alpha Theta (12)
National Honor Society (12)
Skiing (12; I’ve skied forever, but never really thought of signing up for the ski team)

Honors:
Two Student Awards (Comes down to that you are a helpful person, where only two applicants can be nominated by a teacher); Won Sophomore and Junior year
High Honor Roll (Except 3rd Quarter Freshman year and 2nd Quarter Junior year)
National Honor Society (Have not been inducted yet, but plan on doing so)

Community Service: Around 70 hours (Likely 100 by the time I start submitting applications)
Work: I got hired by a job and will work hopefully at least 20 hours a week for the summer (my goal is above 30)
Recommendation Letters: I got the two letters. Both are from teachers where even though my grade is not high (B+/A-), I actively participate in class, help students, stay after for extra help, and make the entire class laugh (in a good way).

These are my final stats, as I am not retaking the ACT or any other standardized tests.

OOS, 3.65 (UW only looks at unweighted, not weighted), and a 30: unlikely acceptance. If there is strong possibility of the gpa moving up after first semester senior year, it may be worth waiting to apply in the second, “regular” round. We know OOS kids several years ago who were rejected in the first round with similar portfolio, and admissions has only gotten more competitive since then. OOS students being admitted typically have 32+ ACT and more like a 3.75+ unweighted. Not impossible, but unlikely admission.

Somewhat easier midwest acceptance includes Minnesota, Iowa, and Indiana. All are strong schools, great school spirit. Iowa and Indiana are more typical “college towns” and Minnesota is more of an urban experience.

What do you intend to study? I respect @Midwestmomofboys opinion, but I think it isn’t as hard as a 3.75 unweighted and a 32 ACT at our school in MA. The criteria to get into some limited enrollment majors will be harder including engineering and business. Do you have access to naviance? Have enough students from your school applied in previous years to get an idea?

Could apply but iffy as in post #1. Those AP test scores don’t help.

I just checked Naviance and we have had several students accepted with less than a 30 ACT in the past couple of years. These students were A-/B+. Good Luck

I just realized you want engineering. You might have better luck at WPI than here.

WPI is also what I am applying to. Is Minnesota really considered an easy option? As far as I know, a 30 on the ACT for engineering there is only the 25th percentile, with it likely being an even lower percentile every year. I am also applying to UMinnesota, as it is near other family and their program for biomedical engineering looks promising, but I find it strange for it to be called in such a way.

@wis75
UWisconsin gives credit for those scores, meaning already that they acknowledge its difficulty, as otherwise they would not do it, such as UNH and WPI. Besides, as it with many schools, they usually don’t consider the AP score into consideration.

Yes, you get general, not specific course credits for 3’s on AP exams. Yes, you passed them, but think of it as getting a C, not an A. There will be students with 4’s and 5’s who will be much more competitive than you in the admissions process. Many will have more AP exam results as well. Your unweighted grades and your test scores are not spectacular. No number of EC’s will make up for great academic stats. Definitely have other schools on your list.

I guess you need higher ACT and GPA. The ECs are very competitive.

I’m sorry, I missed the Biomed Engineering major, so I should supplement to say that MN for engineering would be at least as difficult if not more so than UW. I’m the parent of a recent UW alum, and have continued to watch UW admissions here for about 5 years. I don’t have a crystal ball, and some OOS kids report here that, with around a 30, they have gotten in. That seems to be the low end for OOS admissions, and most of the numbers you see on the “decision threads” are 32-34 range. Of course the OP should apply, but focus on building a strong list of safeties and matches, as I would call UW Engineering a reach for a 30 and a 3.65 unweighted (since UW does not look at weighted).

Marquette offers strong merit, with direct engineering admits, though the Catholic culture affects things like residential life so it may not be for everyone (visitors must leave dorms by a certain time etc.) Milwaukee is a terrific city, with great student life. Iowa is another great school to consider.

I don’t like Milwaukee- and that Marquette campus location. If Madison was a main reason for liking UW the two cities are very different, along with the campuses and cultures.