Chances / Frost

Hello.

S, a junior at average HS, is starting to plan how to spend a finite number of campus visits before he applies for a BM in jazz bass. One visit is likely UNT. Another visit is likely UM/Frost. Other visits not yet determined. He is in Illinois. Funds are not-rich-but-not-poor-enough.

The obvious totally awesome outcome for entering Frost would be the 2017 Stamps jazz quintet scholarship. Aside from the key audition, what are S’s chances for admission/scholarship:

UWGPA: 3.97
WGPA: 4.3
Rigor is just about everything they have to offer
ACT: will take in April, projected 31

Freshman = Humanities*, Geometry, Spanish I, Biology, Global Studies, Band, PE
Sophomore = Humanities, Algebra II, Spanish II, Chemistry, AP Music Theory (5), Band, PE
Junior = Humanities, Pre-Calc, Spanish III, AP Chem, APUSH, Algebra Teacher Aid, PE
Senior = AP Humanities, AP Calc, AP Spansih IV, Physics, Algebra Teacher Aid, Civics, PE
*Humanities is a 4-year honors course in art and literature, with AP Lit test.

Freshman: Starting Center for freshman football team
Sophomore summer: Drum corps snare
Junior: District jazz band in jazz bass
Junior/Senior: Teacher’s Aid for Algebra class at HS
Long list of outside music training (jazz/classical) and performance in jazz bass - audition will tell.

My daughter didn’t like UNT, and we live 20 miles from their campus. She attends The U. Your chance is probably good. Your audition will determine your scholarship/admittance. I would apply to all you might want to attend, then you might be cut in prescreening a couple places (make a really good prescreening video), then you can determine where you spend money to go for auditions at that point. My daughter backed out of UCLA after visiting, if I were Herb Alpert, I would make them fix that dumpy building. It looked like a junior college building.