Chances? Low Junior GPA

<p>I went into junior year with an average UW GPA of about 3.84-ish. Coming out, I dropped to a 3.57-ish with a 3.14 followed by a 2.83. With a 2010 SAT and pretty strong EC's and AP's, what are my chances of getting into a "good" school?
I had plenty of problems junior year, and given the rumors, I'm worried that the year's GPA may have already "ruined" me. Both personal and professional issues have continually nailed me and I feel as if I've come out of the perfect storm, so to speak.
Advice please?</p>

<p>Junior year is really important during the college admission process. If you’re leadership and volunteering positions are strong and you have high SAT/ACT scores, maybe that might still give you a chance at some higher ranked colleges. Also, I think that colleges would probably look for a more recent SAT score. Make sure to provide a valid explanation as to why your GPA went down so low, write excellent essays, give examples of strong leadership positions, and improve your grades and I think you could still make it. Good luck! :)</p>

<p>Well, the online app will ask your overall GPA and scores. Your recent struggles will only be apparent on your transcript. Certainly your SAT score is much higher than the Indiana average. I think it will matter whether you are in-state or out-of-state and to which school you apply. The undergraduate studies program, college of agriculture, college of technology and college of education appear to be the least competitive programs. It is possible to change from one to the other later. You would have a harder time getting into the college of liberal arts or engineering. If you are male you may have an easier time getting into the college of nursing than if you are female. Purdue has developed “holistic admissions” so it isn’t as cut and dried as it used to be. If you feel strongly that it is the right place for you and you apply to a less competitive school, you may get good results.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the input!
I’m from SoCal applying to Krannert.
I also think my EC’s are pretty strong.</p>

<p>There’s an extra information section of the application that you can explain the deviation from your average if you had something else going on. Ex: a kid had really low grades one semester because of mono and explained the fluke. </p>

<p>But if you don’t have a reason like that, then you just need solid test scores and a good essay.</p>

<p>I’m sorry. My '11 son never considered Krannert so I didn’t pay any attention to acceptance statistics or demographics for that particular school. I do know that admissions to Purdue are easier for females than males, except in education and nursing where there are more female applicants. Do visit and make sure it is the right place for you! My son was in-state and followed the money to I.U. because even though he was a strong student Purdue didn’t offer him any merit aid since he was a typical applicant for his school and major. Even though he had planned to attend Purdue, he hasn’t had any regrets.</p>

<p>I had a job, quit that, then had to assist my family in funeral planning. Does that fall along the lines as the student with mono?</p>

<p>I would say yes. Admissions wouldn’t want to invade on your privacy or personal life, but will want to know why your GPA trend is downward. Make sure that you only share what you feel comfortable sharing, but explain as much as you possibly can and keep it relevant to your application. Find out how you can go about adding that to your application if there isn’t a section on the application to give any additional information that you’d like them to know.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tips</p>