CR: 660
W: 560</p>

<p>APs:
AP Calc AB
AP Comp Sci
AP Stat
Honors everything else except Literature
GPA UW: 3.3 (+/-.3) ( i think rough calculation)</p>

<p>Extracurricular and writing the essays will be my strongest suits. Due to the fact that I have done:
Student Council Pres 2 yrs (fresh-soph)
Model UN officer (soph-jun-senior) (both club level and elected by my peers)
Club founder and President: (soph-jun-sen) (different club)
Part time job (work 4 days a week)
2-3 sport athlete
captain of both the tennis and cross country teams (became capt as soph)
History Honors Society
School Newspaper contributor
(Maybe) NAT honors society
etc.</p>

<p>Aside from that I feel I will be able to knock the essay out of the park, will this be enough to be admitted? </p>

<p>My son is starting at Tech in engineering this year. If I remember right from Orientation, your SATs are a bit low to be admitted. And I know the average GPA was 4.1.</p>

<p>I have to agree your stats are a bit low. My daughter had a 4.0 UW and a 4.7 W GPA…I</p>

<p>@crazymomof4 @jhoelscher will i at least be admitted to the university?</p>

<p>this gpa is also unweighted/out of 4.0</p>

<p>I think you’d be admitted to the university. I did not realize how competitive the college of engineering actually is until we went to Hokie Day and orientation and heard about some on my son’s friends that got into Tech but not engineering.</p>

<p>CCCP2015, take a prep course, then retake SAT and take SAT2 Math (although not mandatory, good score can sway the balance in your favor). Try getting both SAT Math portion and SAT2 Math above 700. </p>

<p>UW GPA is low for university studies too. I know many kids this year that were either wait-listed or denied to US with UW GPA of 3.6-3.7 and had 8+ AP classes. Still a chance, nothing to lose.</p>

<p>my actual uw gpa which was caluclated is around a 3.65 uw out of 4? will that help me at all? Are you guys taking about a gpa out of 5 or is this a 4 point scale? @bboop42 @dad4engineering @jhoelscher</p>

<p>There’s a huge difference between your initial estimate of 3.3 and 3.65! The GPAs quoted by others for admitted students represent weighted figures. Some HS will offer bonus points for Honors and/or AP courses. Other HS may not use a bonus point system. Since grading scales vary between HS (some use 90-100 for an A others may still use 94-100) it makes it very difficult to compare GPAs between states and even within Virginia. The best indicator of your chances is how your GPA and SAT scores stack up against other applicants from your HS. If you have access to that statistical information I’d take a look at that first. Your revised unweighted gpa gives you a good shot IMO of getting admitted to VT. Your Math scores will likely knock you out of Engineering. </p>

<p>@CCCP2015 - my comment above “I know many kids this year that were either wait-listed or denied to University Studies with Unweighted GPA of 3.6-3.7 had 8+ AP classes.” was out of 4.0 Max. I agree with ChrisTKD, each school still has different grading scales comprising a GPA, so it is hard to truly compare to VT’s average. That is why I normally ask for an Unweighted GPA given it is closer to a normalized base than the inflated Weighted GPA. Still a chance, nothing to lose, best of luck. </p>