Chances of admission to Purdue

I’m wondering what my son’s chances are of being admitted. We live in IL so out of state. He is a rising senior and he has an SAT score of 1480 (780 Math and 700 Reading/Writing). His GPA is 3.71 UW and 3.97 W. Class rank is 37/294. He has taken AP Physics, APUSH and AP Environmental Science. His senior year he is registered to take AP Chem, AP Calc BC, AP Computer Science, and AP Stats plus English, PE and a mobile app maker class. Junior year he got all A’s or A-‘s in his courses. He has gotten 1 C Sophomore year in Spanish 3 and all other grades where A’s and B’s. He wants to study mechanical engineering. So just wondering what his chances of being admitted are. Thanks.

He looks like a pretty typical admit according to the COE’s FAQ:

https://www.purdue.edu/futureengineers/What%20To%20Know/Common%20Questions/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.html
That was for 2017 and it does seem like admissions get tougher every year so if Purdue is a top choice have him get his application in early and be enthusiatic about Purdue in any essays they require. I think Purdue no longer does rolling admission and engineering in general is pretty stats aware but showing some love for the school can’t hurt.

Thanks. Looks like he is in that range. He is attending Purdue’s summer STEP program but I don’t think it will have an effect on admission but he will get to know that school better.

That’s great! My daughter spent 5 very happy years in W. Lafayette but it’s in the middle of nowhere so it’s really good he’ll have a chance to see how he likes it.

STEP is a great program and an awesome way to know if Purdue is the right fit. I’m sending you a private message!

Thanks!

Since your in Illinois don’t forgot your own backyard. With new potential scholarships this year and going forward, it might be a great financial advantage at UIllinois

He is going to apply to U of I as well. Thanks

@ILMomof2 His stats seem pretty similar to mine, and I just got in for the First Year Engineering program (Every engineer starts in this, and then they declare their majors sophomore year), and I plan on going into mechanical as well. Just have him make sure his essays showcase his interest in the field (I talked about a company idea I pursued this year and explained what specific benefits the different Purdue facilities could afford me), and he should be a shoe-in. Good luck!

Do you have Naviance? I would check that. And ask your guidance counselor. Many kids apply to Purdue from IL. I’m guessing he/she could give you the history from your school.

From what I’ve read on the forums, I suggest making sure he applies Early Action. A good size chunk of Engineering admits seem to happen then and it appears to be much harder to get in during Regular Decision.

Quite close to my D’s stats - she had slightly higher GPA/ranking (3.80 UW, top 11%) and slightly lower test scores (31 ACT), fewer APs (4) and was admitted within 3 weeks when they had rolling admissions 2 years ago. It’s a solid match school, IMHO - a pretty good shot, but certainly not a lock/safety school.

Absolutely apply by the Nov. 1 early deadline.

Purdue is a good match. I would have your son apply EA as applying RD is more competitive as many of their slots for engineering will have already been offered. Since your son attended STEP he probably is aware they accept students into their FYE program and apply to their major second semester. Highly competitive majors require higher GPA’s to be assured a spot. You can be accepted into an impacted major with a lower GPA but it can be stressful. Purdue is a great school. Good luck.