Chances of getting in Fall 2019-Education Major

What are the chances of getting in for an education major for Fall 2019 with the following-
class rank- 20%
GPA- 3.95
SAT- 1280
4 year varsity sport
NHS
has a lot of volunteer hours

Getting in as a Review Applicant is a 10-15% ish percent chance. There are usually 40,000+ applicants and for Fall 17, about 27,000 applications went to review. A very small percentage of applicants are offered Full Admissions after review. It will just keep getting more competitive each year.

My oldest daughter was a Review Applicant in Fall '12. She had the required SAT Score for an Academic Admit for that year but was only top 27%. She applied in Oct. '11 and heard of her Full acceptance in Feb.'12. She majored in Education, a great program at TAMU and graduated Cum Laude in '16. She was offered a job on her first 2 job interviews and now teaches in a great school district. The Aggie Network is fantastic.

My youngest daughter was a Review Applicant in Fall '17. Her SAT scores were the same as yours but she was top 53%. She had great essays, great LORs, 4 year HS team member and great off campus activities but no volunteering. She applied in Nov. '17 and received her Blinn-TEAM Admittance in Feb. '17. She just finished her Freshman year as an Aggie and has loved it. She will continue on Blinn-TEAM for another year as she isn’t sure of her major.

Since you rank in the top 25% of your class, your best bet is to increase your SAT score to the required number for Academic Admission. Take several SAT practice tests and see where you need to improve. Take SAT prep classes or go online to Khan academy. Do as much as possible during summer as you will get busier when school starts. Treat your SAT test prep as if it was a job, give it your full attention. Schedule a couple of retests before the deadline.

I’m not sure what the SAT target score is for Fall '19 but probably with an increase of around 100 points, you will earn Academic Admission. Pay attention to the subscores needed also. Earning an Academic Admissions will be a lot of work but is a LOT LESS STRESSFUL than waiting out a Review for admissions.

Have your essays reviewed by an English teacher or another educated adult. Make sure that the people who write your letters of recommendation know something personal about you: obstacles, health issues, work ethic, experience n your target major, etc. LORs from Aggie’ s if possible.

Go to an official campus tour. If you can go on a day when class is in session, check with the Education department and see if you can sit in on a class. Also schedule an appointment with a department advisor.

Good luck. :slight_smile: Keep us posted on your journey.

Taking the SAT again soon. Hoping to raise the score but if it not do you think Blinn team might be an option? Would it be better to get two strong teacher references or 1 teacher reference and 1 from an Aggie? Does it make a difference?

Blinn-TEAM is always an option for Review Applicants, but nothing is a guarantee except Top 10% or Academic Admissions (Top 25% plus required SAT/ACT scores).

Have you taken the ACT? Maybe that test will suit you better. Just make sure that you prepare well. Earning an Academic Admission is doable, tough, but doable since you are in the top 25% already.

As for LORs, both of my daughters had 2 teacher recommendations, but at least one of them was a teacher who was also an Aggie. See if any of the teachers that you connect with/excelled in their classes are also Aggies. Otherwise it would be a toss up as to which would be better, getting either an Aggie or a teacher to write a recommendation. Just make sure that both LORs are written by someone who can write positively about you, your experiences, your potential, your work ethic, etc.

I have a CC thread about my youngest daughter’s experience on Blinn-TEAM last year. A lot will probably change for next year, but there may still be some relevant info.

Good luck. You can do this. It probably won’t be easy, but anything worthwhile is worth working for. Any increase in your score will show that you are willing to put in the effort.

What will change with Blinn Team?

For incoming Blinn-TEAM Freshman 2018, they will take their courses at the new RELLIS facility. Continuing Sophomores 2018 will take their Blinn courses on the Blinn Bryan campus. The RELLIS facility is brand new for 2018 and I know nothing about it.